[p2p-research] "Nuclear decline set to continue, says report, " by Nuclear Engineering International

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Tue Sep 1 17:05:25 CEST 2009

Part of the issue with any media report is that there is a belief (often
true) that positive publicity about momentum will generate momentum. So,
people hire PR groups for "astroturf" "grass roots" campaigns to show
momentum. The same has been happening in the US health care debate. So, it
makes it hard to believe media reports about "momentum" in the absence of
any sort of numbers about growth.

With that said, on nuclear, nuclear batteries (both small and large) seem to
be enjoying some interest.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_battery

These things are sometime found in space probes, but are also in use by the
military in situations where they want to place an unobtrusive device that
will sit unattended doing something for decades.

I remember thinking how absurd the idea of a nuclear battery that, say,
would power a home washing machine sounded to me when I read about it in
Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series. When the batter wore out, you would get
a new washing machine -- that was how an advanced priesthood maintained
control of a large population in one society in that book.

One example from today about how prescient Isaac Asimov was:
"Personal Nuclear Power: New Battery Lasts 12 Years"
http://www.livescience.com/technology/050513_new_battery.html
"""
A new type of battery based on the radioactive decay of nuclear material is
10 times more powerful than similar prototypes and should last a decade or
more without a charge, scientists announced this week.
   The longevity would make the battery ideal for use in pacemakers or other
surgically implanted devices, developers say, or it might power spacecraft
or deep-sea probes.
   You might also find these nuclear batteries running sensors and other
small devices in your home in a few years. Such devices "don't consume much
power," said University of Rochester electrical engineer Philippe Fauchet,
"and yet having to replace the battery every so often is a real pain in the
neck."
   Fauchet told LiveScience the batteries could last a dozen years. They're
being refined at Rochester. The technology was developed with the help
financial support from the National Science Foundation and has been patented
by BetaBatt Inc.
   The technology is called betavoltaics. It uses a silicon wafer to capture
electrons emitted by a radioactive gas, such as tritium. It is similar to
the mechanics of converting sunlight into electricity in a solar panel.
"""

That company:
  http://www.betabatt.com/
"The company's first commercial product, a quarter size battery with a 12-20
year lifespan and mission critical reliability, has performance
characteristics that address current problems faced by medical implant, oil
and gas, and remote sensing industries, as well as military and space
organizations"

I don't know how well they work or what they cost.

For better or worse, nuclear materials are already widespread in smoke
detectors. They are extensively used in medical imaging. So, there already
is something of an infrastructure for producing and dealing with low-level
radioactive items. In our society, we are already surrounded by nuclear
materials use -- we just tend not to notice it or think about it. And when
there are problems with that infrastructure, it is considered a crisis:
   "Isotope shortage means a healthcare crisis"
http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-sci-isotope9-2009aug09,0,6453741.story
"The abrupt shutdown of two aging nuclear reactors that produce a
radioisotope widely used in medical imaging has forced physicians in the
U.S. and abroad into a crisis, requiring them to postpone or cancel
necessary scans for heart disease and cancer, or turn to alternative tests
that are not as accurate, take longer and expose patients to higher doses of
radiation."

Here is one town sized version of a nuclear battery, but there are others:
http://www.businessgreen.com/business-green/news/2230198/nuclear-batteries-provide
"According to the company, they will produce 25MW of power when their heat
is converted to electricity using a turbine, or 70MW if direct thermal
energy is used. ... The company already has $2bn in orders for the products,
she said, and is now chasing about $20m in Series B funding."

The company:
http://www.hyperionpowergeneration.com/
"Conventional reactors cost billions of dollars to build and are designed to
serve large regions. The hyperion reactor is designed for applications in
remote areas where cost, safety and security is of concern."

I don't know if they actually work though. But, contrast that -- two billion
dollars in orders (claimed), versus the comments in that report about a
widening gap about perceptions of a nuclear renaissance.

So, even within the nuclear industry there is fragmentation and infighting.
Groups that support large nuclear power plants are probably loathe to admit
all the innovation going on in relation to personal, home, and town-sized
nuclear power generation. (I saw one proposal for disposing of nuclear waste
by giving it to people in an encapsulated form to use to heat their homes. :-)

Of course, I'm more pro-solar myself. :-) I am pro-solar over nuclear in
part because solar is an easier technology right now for individuals to
produce and use safely, and solar is less subject to various forms of abuse
and coverup and socializing risk than nuclear (Silkwood, TMI, dirty bombs,
etc.). More that solar, nuclear industries lend themselves to privatizing
profits and socializing costs (you can't see radiation pollution either),
so, unless we have a very functional society, nuclear technologies will tend
more towards corruption than solar at the point-of-use (there may be
coverups in solar production, of course same as in the semiconductor
industry in general, mainly with employees harmed). So, I feel that handling
nuclear materials requires a higher level of trust than our society
currently has proven itself worthy of day-to-day. Solar technologies require
less trust by citizens of government -- even if solar require more trust by
government of citizens (who are literally "empowered"), which is one reason
why government resists small-scale solar. :-)

But, the same sort of trends that are driving improvements in solar (better
design tools using computers, better understandings of materials, better
simulations, people looking for alternatives) are also at play in the
nuclear industry. And, as in the power industry in general, the big players
are likely either in denial about the smaller alternatives or are actively
spinning stories against small scale systems which otherwise are more
amenable to private or local use and which can be built for less money and
thus produce less centralization of political power. So, one might see this
report as another attack against peer-level nuclear technologies, through a
sin of omission.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/