[p2p-research] Remote Assembly, Economy, & Work For Its Own Sake

Nathan Cravens knuggy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 10:28:28 CEST 2009

Thanks for clarifying Ryan, I know you mean well. Thanks for your persistent
contributions to the p2p foundation. In addressing Sam's question, I hope
this might address some of the economic issues and assumptions you've
discussed.

Sam's negative quadrillion dollar question:

> how do we transition from a world dominated by money, to a world
> where humans operate with no money?"  What is a "plausible" way to do
> this, that most of the people in the world can actually start adopting
> right now, today?

Spend the least amount of money possible; everyone wants to do this as well
when they can even if this is ultimately a contradiction; which means your
labor value or profit earnings are dwindling as you are forced to do this
anyway. The trick is to have the same living standards with less and less
money. Smari and friend's fab lab developments implemented within the global
public sphere will help alleviate the need for money, and eventually, money
itself. It will not happen at once, and monetary and political economic
structures will need to transition incrementally downward--but from what I'm
seeing--this is going to happen very quickly. This is clarified by observing
the price floors plummeting on computers, wireless technologies, and digital
manufacturing equipment.

These developments will only accelerate further with the integrated platform
our media ecology workshop will begin to develop more collaboratively. This
platform will help the globe care for itself by better knowing what and
where people and things are and how to use them self sufficiently; which
will be more efficient than sending armies to enclose and destroy. If we can
present a more efficient way for people to care for themselves; soldiers
will drop their weapons, state monuments will become museums, and business
offices will become something else, as people no longer need to labor in
these ways to care for themselves.

Enough people see the problems and are building solutions with p2p or open
source/DIY in mind. To ensure a positive outcome; we just need to make sure
everyone developing these various parts get to know each other and agree on
standards.

There is a lot of detail that I can only imagine, but when we are able to
achieve the final presentation described in 'Remote Self Assembly' almost
all of the issues under discussion will be solved.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ATsf-IaJ1pQxZGcyanpkZnRfMjk5ZGQ5azhyZ3E&hl=en

Reflection.
After reading through lots of jargon, economy is easy--but so too I am
finding--things simplify with interest seeking a fairly clear outcome and
believing what is done can simply be done; therefore it can be presented and
developed in the same way; and in ways that use economic observations as a
developmental part.

Nathan