[p2p-research] More on: Suggestions wanted for education to p2p practices and attitude

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat Oct 31 10:40:09 CET 2009

Pamela,
thanks for the info. More comments inline:

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 01:18:54 AM +0000, Pamela McLean wrote:

> If I had realised it was for "developing countries" I might have
> offered some thoughts based on work in rural Nigeria. I wonder where
> exactly the proposal is for (and therefore the possible relevance of
> what I know).

yes, I am interested in knowing more about Nigeria and Positive
Concern.  The proposal is generic, for poor children, not elite
schools, in all developing countries, but as I said, I'm interested in
this also beyond (and regardless of) next week talk.

The notes about the library and soap are relevant indeed for me. Soap
making and water purification are indeed skills that should be taught
in many areas. One question I have about the library is "what do you
think of ebook readers in such contexts?"

Theoretically, a book reader can be loaded with hundreds of books even
without an internet connection, much less than those books, can be
charged even with a portable solar charger everywhere...

In practice, I know that there may be many obstacles, from hardware
breaking very soon in tropical climates to theft, teachers hostility
or other cultural factors of any kind. What is your opinion on this?

> I am not sure about the best way to implement the P2P aspect.  P2P
> is comparatively self-directed, which goes against cultural norms in
> the places I know.

Personally, as long as the children do get the right information and
do use it, I am not so strict about how basic education happens.
Practically speaking, P2P or rote learning could be equally effective
when teaching how to read or wash your hands. With older students and
other subjects is an entirely different issue, of course. But even
then judging what is the most effective way to act is a problem that
must certainly be solved differently in every culture, and your
comment is very important. What do other list subscribers think?

	Thanks again,
			Marco
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84