[p2p-research] More on: Suggestions wanted for education to p2p practices and attitude

Pamela McLean pamela.mclean at dadamac.net
Sat Oct 31 02:18:54 CET 2009

Ref

2009/10/30 Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com>

> M. Fioretti wrote:
>
>> (snip)
>>
>> Just a bit more explanation. In the next days, I should give a speech
>> about the impact of digital technologies to people who want to prepare
>> a detailed program proposal which is:
>>
>> - specifically for "basic education in developing countries"

If I had realised it was for "developing countries" I might have offered
some thoughts based on work in rural Nigeria. I wonder where exactly the
proposal is for (and therefore the possible relevance of what I know).

> - also includes basic education to "nutrition, healthcare,
>>  eco-friendly practices"

Perhaps the proposal is for well resourced elite schools, in which case my
observations would be irrelevant. I will offer some examples to check for
relevance.

In 2003 I was helping with a needs analysis relating to local education and
training needs in a rural area in SW Nigeria. Representatives of the youth
groups came and said they had two needs:

One need was for a library. (They were already actively fundraising locally
for one - as there were almost no books in their schools. On a subsequent
visit I attended the ceremonial opening celebration. Local children were
told appreciate their great good fortune in having this new resource. I was
shown the little reference library with pride by the young fundraisers. It
had one bookcase. The books were arranged on the shelves with their faces
showing - because there was plenty of space  to display them like that - no
reason to squash them side by side, as we do, with only the spines showing).

The other need related to health. The youths said they needed to learn how
they could get latrines. They explained that if they knew how then they
would get latrines put at the motor park and at the schools - which were
places where there would be people to take care of them.  Subsequently I had
a chance to discuss this with a doctor employed by the local government.  He
said it would be an excellent idea if latrines could be provided at the
schools. It is an area where most of the homes have no running water and no
sanitation.  The doctor said that if the schools had good latrines then it
would teach the pupils healthy habits, and then that would carry over to
when they had homes of their own.

Soap making also comes to mind as another possibly relevant activity. It is
a business that some women are taught to do, in connection with micro-credit
and micro-enterprise.  I wonder if any connection should be made between
learning to make soap and using soap for handwashing after "easing
yourself".

Simple approaches to water purification would also be relevant to health
care.

Regarding nutrition I know of a programme called Positive Concern where a
local doctor advises HIV/AIDS patients on nutrition. The advice he gives
would be very relevant if the proposal was for rural West Africa. Positive
Concern also includes practical teaching on making nutritious drinks from
local ingredients.

>> So this is the context of my original question:
>>
>>  here's a question: if you were preparing a proposal for education in
>>> the 6-12 years age range, what would you write in it in order to
>>> educate the children to a p2p-like attitude and practice with
>>> respect to nutrition, (self) healthcare, protection of the
>>> environment?
>>>
>> (snip)

I am not sure about the best way to implement the P2P aspect. P2P is
comparatively self-directed, which goes against  cultural norms in the
places I know. In those places rote learning is the established method.
(This is very understandable in a situation where teachers are starved of
resources - and have themselves been taught by rote.) There are very rigid
social hierarchies and children are taught to not ask questions. I would
want time working with the teachers before suggesting a different approach
to learning.

As I said at the start, I don't know if the situation in rural Nigeria has
any relevance to the "developing countries" proposal you are concerned with,
but perhaps it does.

Pamela McLean
UK-Africa Connections
Dadamac