[p2p-research] Fwd: Climate Meshwork for Copenhagen and your involvement

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 00:30:22 CET 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Merry <peter at thehaguecenter.org>
Date: Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM
Subject: Climate Meshwork for Copenhagen and your involvement

 Dear Climate Leaders,

I just wanted to give you all an update on plans for Copenhagen.

A couple of weeks ago we contacted Klimaforum <http://www.klimaforum09.org/>,
who are organising the People's Summit in Copenhagen, parallel to the
political summit. They already had 5,000 people registered and are expecting
10,000 per day to come through their huge venue next to the central train
station in Copenhagen.

We talked to them about the 2020 campaign and showed them around the online
meshwork. They immediately saw the opportunity to create greater coherence
in the field of all the organisations and initiatives descending on
Copenhagen to promote their approach to climate change. So we have now
signed a letter of understanding with them to collaborate on meshworking the
event, and create the conditions for ongoing collaboration.

The idea is to send an invitation to all the people registered to join the
online meshwork a week before (beginning December). Then people will be able
to find others who work in the same area as they do, and who have similar
profiles (using the synchronicity screen), and arrange to meet up with them
in advance. This will massively enhance the effectiveness of the physical
gathering itself (making the most of our collective CO2 emissions to get
there!).

While we are there, we will work with a large team to identify the key
players in the different meshwork areas, and invite them into the meshwork
to contribute specifically to their expert area / condition. We will also
have a physical space that enable people to get familiar with the meshwork
and have conversations at tables themed by the areas. We will work with
viral marketing techniques and have meshwork stations across the city to
engage people. We are also suggesting to colour code the workshops and
events by meshwork area, so everyone can see which activity is contributing
to which goal, helping to create the sense of collective alignment.

Klimaforum originally identified a set of areas to focus on (see
here<http://www.klimaforum09.org/Theme-groups-and-the-people-behind>
 and here <http://www.klimaforum09.org/Political-Platform>). We are talking
to them about the relationship between those and the Belo areas, to see how
we can make a next iteration that transcends and includes the current
categories (you can now see a wonderful case story of the Brazil event
here<http://brasil2020.global.gaiaspace.org/global/pg/file/peterm/read/4718/brazil-2020-meshwork-launch-case-story>,
written by Helen Titchen-Beeth). As part of the process, we will identify
key owners for the areas and conditions, who will work on getting the right
people and content in.

The Copenhagen meshwork will be directly related to the Brazil meshwork,
with content able to show up in each. This means that all the best practices
etc that are already posted in the Brazil meshwork will be available to
those in the Copenhagen meshwork, and vice-versa.

The implications for us are:
- it would be great to have your profile as up to date and complete as soon
as possible, so the right people can find you and vice-versa (if you have
selected all categories on your profile, I suggest you limit them to the
ones that really apply to you (there is now a "global" category in the
places dimension to save you ticking every country for content that is
relevant worldwide). A more refined profile is also likely to draw more
relevant people and content to you in the synchronicity screen
- make sure you post any material that you want people to know about in the
next few weeks as the flood gates will open to thousands of people and
organisations who could benefit
- if you believe you have particular expertise in any of the areas or
conditions, please let us know, as we are looking for people to be playing
special co-ordination and quality-assurance roles
- if you are actually going to be in Copenhagen, let us know, as there will
be plenty to do and great fun to be had. We are gathering a very cool team
of bright young integrally-minded sustainability people who are really going
to make an impact!

Do we have lots of money to do this? Not yet! As with Belo, we are going
ahead anyway as this clearly needs to happen. In the meantime we have some
funding leads and strategies. Even one of the Dutch princes is out hunting
for us (he was blown away by the platform and wants to bring his whole
sustainable innovation network in).

In the meantime we also have the opportunity to meshwork 20,000 people
working on climate change who are gathering on Dec 12 in the Netherlands. We
have the top sustainability experts here creating the Review Board for the
Areas and Conditions for the Dutch 2020 Meshwork - the core content DNA
around which all these people, organisations and solutions will organise.

This is an enormous opportunity on this whole journey to contribute to our
goal of greater coherence, focus and impact. It will position the 2020
Climate Leadership Campaign as *the* cohering initiative on climate change.
Let us know if you want to know more, be involved or support in any way you
can.

With love, Peter

   *Peter Merry*
*Director*
The Hague Center for Global Governance, Innovation and Emergence

m : +31 (0)61 355 4129
e : peter at thehaguecenter.org
w : www.thehaguecenter.org

--