[p2p-research] the new green revolution in AFrica

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Oct 29 23:25:25 CET 2009

Having worked in organic agriculture for a time in a couple of ways, the
basic adage is, feed the soil for healthy plants, and healthy plants resist
pests.

And if you want to feed the soil, ground up rock does an excellent job:
  http://www.remineralize.org/
"Remineralize the Earth promotes the regeneration of soils and forests
worldwide with finely ground rock dust as a sustainable alternative to
chemical fertilizers and pesticides, creating fertile soils much as the
Earth does. Not only do we need to recycle and return the organic matter to
the soil, it is equally vital to return all of the mineral nutrients which
create fertile soils and healthy crops and forests. Remineralization is
essential to restore ecological balance and stabilize the climate. "

So yes, that person does not know much other than (wrong) "conventional
farming" wisdom. And worse, when you saturate the soil with one type of
fertilizer like nitrogen, it statistically drives out all the
micronutrients, leading to less healthy plants (requiring heavy pesticides
because they can not make plant defense compounds) that are less healthy to
eat (mosty starch and fiber, few micronutrients).

A good book on the science of alternative agriculture that explains the
chemistry of much of this from 1987:
http://www.amazon.com/Towards-Holistic-Agriculture-Scientific-Approach/dp/0080342116

This stuff has been known for decades. Words fail me to describe the
disaster that has been foisted on farmers, the biosphere, and the public by
people who don't want to know this.

See also, from 1909:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers_of_Forty_Centuries

Also, as for the USA, a deeper issue:
http://www.westernwatersheds.org/watmess/watmess_2002/2002html_summer/article6.htm
"By far the greatest impact on the American landscape comes not from
urbanization but rather from agriculture. According to the U.S. Department
of Agriculture, farming and ranching are responsible for 68 percent of all
species endangerment in the United States. ... About 349 million acres in
the U.S. are planted for crops. This is the equivalent of about four states
the size of Montana. Four crops -- feeder corn (80 million acres), soybeans
(75 million acres), alfalfa hay (61 million acres) and wheat (62 million
acres) -- make up 80 percent of total crop acreage. All but wheat are
primarily used to feed livestock. ... Despite acreage being paved over,
malled over or overbuilt with condos, developed land is generally
concentrated in and near cities. The loss of farm or ranch land is
insignificant compared to the total acreage available in the U.S. The real
message here is that we can afford to restore hundreds of millions of acres
in the U.S. if we simply shift our diets away from meat. Many organizations
spend their time fighting sprawl and championing agriculture as a benign use
of the land. If a similar amount of effort were directed toward reducing
agricultural production, we would produce far greater protection and
restoration for declining species, endangered ecosystems and ecological
processes. When critics suggest that we don't have the money to buy land for
wildlands restoration, they are forgetting agricultural subsidies, which
amount to hundreds of billions of dollars. For what we spend to prop up
marginal agricultural producers, we could easily buy most of the private
farm and ranch land in the country This would be a far more effective way to
contain sprawl, restore wildlands, bring back endangered species, clean up
water, slow the spread of exotic species and reduce soil erosion."

Those are the facts for a happy world with organic agriculture:
* feed the soil with ground up rock; and
* eat less meat.

As I mentioned elsewhere, this is the kind of world GMOs may lead to:
http://www.saynotogmos.org/klebsiella.html
"In the early 1990s a European genetic engineering company was preparing to
field test and then commercialize on a major scale a genetically engineered
soil bacteria called Klebsiella planticola. The bacteria had been tested--as
it turns out in a careless and very unscientific mannner--by scientists
working for the biotech industry and was believed to be safe for the
environment. Fortunately a team of independent scientists, headed by Dr.
Elaine Ingham of Oregon State University, decided to run their own tests on
the gene-altered Klebsiella planticola. What they discovered was not only
startling, but terrifying--the biotech industry had created a biological
monster--a genetically engineered microorganism that would kill all
terrestrial plants. After Ingham's expose, of course the gene-altered
Klebsiella planticola was never commercialized. But as Ingham points out,
the lack of pre-market safety testing of other genetically altered organisms
virtually guarantees that future biological monsters will be released into
the environment."

and:
"Klebsiella planticola--The Gene-Altered Monster That Almost Got Away"
http://www.purefood.org/ge/klebsiella.cfm

So much direction of resources to stupid (but profitable to some) ends.
There are fairly straightforward ways to make the world work for everyone
that don't entail taking so many reckless risks. Sure, when our knowledge of
biology is better, and we have fancy robots to help, and we have space
habitats to escape to, sure, then GMOs might make more sense.

Still, what a terrible weapon of war was created.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salting_the_earth
"Salting the earth refers to the practice of spreading salt on fields to
make them incapable of being used for crop-growing. This was done in ancient
times at the end of some wars as a punitive measure."

 From 1964:
http://educationanddemocracy.org/FSCfiles/C_CC2a_TripleRevolution.htm
"The Weaponry Revolution: New forms of weaponry have been developed which
cannot win wars but which can obliterate civilization. We are recognizing
only now that the great weapons have eliminated war as a method for
resolving international conflicts. The ever-present threat of total
destruction is tempered by the knowledge of the final futility of war. The
need of a “warless world” is generally recognized, though achieving it will
be a long and frustrating process."

We are so close to the edge in many ways -- just not the ones most people
who claim to be leaders or who have vast wealth are worried about. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
http://www.beyondajoblessrecovery.org/