[p2p-research] Scientific American: Does Economics Violate the Laws of Physics?

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Oct 29 21:33:17 CET 2009

Ryan-

Nathan just sent me these links:
"Home Assistance Robot"
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/home-assistance-robot/295707
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/10/harrobot.jpg

Wow, that's one of the most impressive household robots I've seen, although
it's hard to tell, from a video like this, how general it really is in terms
of working in arbitrary environments.

Still, if the choice was, live in a somewhat structured environment and have
all the household chores done, or live somewhere else less standard, I'd
think some people would go for the more structured home, just to get this
robot (even if it meant little choice by requiring identical chairs and
refrigerators and whatever). Older people especially may like this. The same
thing has happened with factory robots. There was some increase in
flexibility in robots, but also a lot of standardization in factory layout
and parts handling to make it easier for the robot to operate. Which makes
me realize, maybe robot companies won't just sell you the robot, but they
could (for a time till robots get better) sell you a mobile home to live in
that the robot knows how to clean in and cook in and take care of with basic
maintenance?

Just to be clear, I don' think human will ever face a loss of "meaningful
work", because people will build their own meanings (including raising
children and just enjoying a day at the beach).

What humans face is a loss of "paying work". :-)

Again, look at that robot above. It's true that it is still on wheels, and
is a little slow. But, the improvements just keep coming.

A robot like that could really help parents of young children by helping
with the cleaning, or it could really hurt parents of young children by
assuring the family has no income (like from house cleaning).

The issue is becoming, do people have a human right to make a claim on the
industrial and natural and robot commons, by right of existence?

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
http://www.beyondajoblessrecovery.org/