[p2p-research] Slashdot News Story | Decline In US Newspaper Readership Accelerates

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 15:22:31 CET 2009

Great link.  What is fascinating to me is that this story has been brewing
for at least 7 years, it continues to accelerate, and those in the know
still don't believe it.  Human willingness to believe what we think is right
in the face of great evidence is a constant lesson to me.

Ryan

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Paul D. Fernhout <
pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/10/28/2131236/Decline-In-US-Newspaper-Readership-Accelerates
> "The Washington Post reports that US newspaper circulation has hit its
> lowest level in seven decades, as papers across the country lost 10.6
> percent of their paying readers from April through September, compared with
> a year earlier. Online, newspapers are still a success — but only in
> readership, not in profit. Ads on newspaper Internet sites sell for pennies
> on the dollar compared with ads in their ink-on-paper cousins. "Newspapers
> have ceased to be a mass medium by any stretch of the imagination," says
> Alan D. Mutter, a former journalist and cable television executive who now
> consults and writes a blog called Reflections of a Newsosaur. According to
> Mutter only 13 percent of Americans, or about 39 million, now buy a daily
> newspaper, down from 31 percent in 1940. "Publishers who think their
> businesses are going to live or die according to the number of bellybuttons
> they can deliver probably will see their businesses die," writes Mutter.
> "The smart ones will get busy on Plan B, assuming there is a Plan B and it’s
> not already too late." Almost without exception, the papers that lost the
> least readers or even gained readership are the nation's smallest daily
> newspapers which tend to focus almost all of their limited resources on
> highly local news that is not covered by larger outside organizations and
> have a lock on local ad markets."
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/26/AR2009102603272.html
> http://newsosaur.blogspot.com/2009/10/newspapers-mass-less-mass-medium.html
>
> http://www.leader-vindicator.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20382685&BRD=2758&PAG=461&dept_id=572980&rfi=6