[p2p-research] Scientific American: Does Economics Violate the Laws of Physics?

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 01:03:38 CET 2009

Ryan,

The ideas being discussed aren't new--you're definitely right about that.
I've previously mentioned that I view economics as slowly merging with other
fields of behavioral science, with plenty of fuzziness, murkiness, and
pseudoscientific nonsense still clouding around them all.  It's a baby
science in a swimming pool of bathwater.

I don't understand your response, so two questions stemming from it:

Q1) If there is a reasonable argument that economics is ultimately a study
of thermodynamics, what is that argument?

If we ignore the supersensationalist claim in the article (that "today's
dominant economic thinking violates the laws of physics") and go with simply
the sensationalist claim ("Neoclassical economics is inconsistent with the
laws of thermodynamics"), then one must ask

Q2) How is neoclassical economic theory inconsistent with the laws of
thermodynamics?

Neoclassical growth theory is not just one thing.  The Solow model, for
example, is very simplified, and growth theory is a realm of much debate.
In science, the whole point of theory and modelling is to map the terrain of
reality.  It's hardly a surprise when theories are wrong--a map is always
simpler than the terrain it maps.  Good maps simply give us some predictive
power.  That's science.  However, that thermodynamics somehow invalidates or
disproves neoclassical growth theories is a far more specific claim, and
requires extraordinary evidence.  I can't even think how it would be
possible, which is why I asked these followups.

I don't know much about industrial ecology.  My basic understanding is the
field looks at all materials and energy cycles in our "closed" system:
essentially, the Earth.  So, it would try to define the boundaries of
possible material and energy flows on Earth.  However, a closed system is
not the same as an isolated one--Earth constantly receives energy, mostly
from the Sun, which will continue for a very long time.

I see Superfreakonomics much as I see Penn and Teller's BS: contrarian
trolling.

-- Stan