[p2p-research] Candid Interviews with Former Soviet Officials Reveal U.S. Strategic Intelligence Failure Over Decades

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Oct 29 00:13:33 CET 2009

Just to show when the "professionals" with billion dollar budgets go wrong:
""Previously Classified Interviews with Former Soviet Officials Reveal U.S.
Strategic Intelligence Failure Over Decade: 1995 Contractor Study Finds that
U.S. Analysts Exaggerated Soviet Aggressiveness and Understated Moscow's
Fears of a U.S. First Strike"
   http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nukevault/ebb285/index.htm
"""
While the BDM analysts found that some interpretations of Soviet policy were
consistent with the interview evidence (e.g., the Soviet interest in
avoiding nuclear war and Moscow's quest for superiority), they identified
what they believed to be important failures of analysis, including:
     * "[Erring] on the side of overestimating Soviet aggressiveness" and
underestimated "the extent to which the Soviet leadership was deterred from
using nuclear weapons." [I: iv, 35]. Recent evidence from oral history
sources supports this finding.  The Soviet leadership of the 1960s and 19702
suffered from a strategic inferiority complex that supports its drive for
parity with (or even superiority over) the United States. All of the
strategic models developed by Soviet military experts had a defensive
character and assumed a first strike by NATO (See Document 3 at pages 26-27,
Oral History Roundtable, Stockholm, p. 61)
     * "Seriously misjudg[ing] Soviet military intentions, which had the
potential [to] mislead…U.S. decision makers in the event of an extreme
crisis." For example, the authors observed that the Soviet leadership did
not rule out a preemptive strike option, even though U.S. officials came to
downplay the "probability" of Soviet preemption.  This misperception left
open the possibility of U.S. action during a crisis that could invite a
Soviet preemptive response and a nuclear catastrophe. [I: iv, 35, 68, 70-71]
     * "Serious[ly] misunderstanding … the Soviet decision-making process"
by underestimating the "decisive influence exercised by the defense
industry." That the defense industrial complex, not the Soviet high command,
played a key role in driving the quantitative arms buildup "led U.S.
analysts to … exaggerate the aggressive intentions of the Soviets." [I:7]
"""

Relevant, about a more peer based model of mutual security:
   "Morton Deutsch on Mutual Security"
   http://www.beyondintractability.org/audio/morton_deutsch/?nid=2430
"""
[Interview with Morton Deutsch: E.L. Thorndike Professor and Director
Emeritus of the International Center for Cooperation and Conflict Resolution
at Teachers College, Columbia University]
   Q: You're starting to see the analogy to international conflict, or
intractable conflict on a larger scale?
   A: Yes. Well, I wrote a paper about preventing World War III. That was
during the height of the cold war, I think I wrote it in 1982, it was called
"The Presidential Address to the International Society to Political
Psychology." And there I took the relationship between the United States and
the Soviet Union and characterized it as a malignant relationship, which had
some of the characteristics that I was talking about with the couple. It was
right for both the United States and the Soviet Union to think that the
other was hostile, would undo it, would damage it, you know, all of these
things. The relationship was a malignant one. They had to become aware of
the malignancy, and the only way out really was recognizing that it's
hurting, recognizing that there is a potential better way of relating. And
that better way of relating involves having a sense that one can only have
security if there's mutual security. And that's true in most relationships.
That's particularly true to recognize groups that have had bitter strife
where they've hurt each other. They have to deal with the problem of how to
get to where they can live together. It may be ethnic groups within a given
nation or community. They can only live together if they recognize that
their own security is going to be dependent on the other person's security.
So each person, each side, each group has to be interested in the welfare of
the other.
   On a national level it has to deal with military and other economic
security. At the group level and personal level, it often has to do with
psychological security. It has to do with someone recognizing, I shouldn't
be treating the other in an undignified, disrespectful way. So in an
interpersonal relationship, that kind of security, recognizing that not only
are you entitled to it, so is the other person entitled to it. And if you
don't give that other person that entitlement the relationship is going to
move in the other direction, back to bitter conflict.
"""

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/