[p2p-research] article request

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 15:03:58 CET 2009

Michel:

For your consideration, here is a Maia Maia article:

Maia Maia: A Coupon Currency for Carbon Reduction Initiatives and the
Failure of Micro-initiatives

A person inclined to follow P2P really wants to like the Maia
Maia<http://www.maiamaia.org/>project, and I do, in principle.
I really hope it works, but it won't--in practice.  The idea is fairly
simple: Implement a carbon reduction club and thereby earn a standard amount
of “booyas” which are a currency coupon to be used at local vendors
supporting the (hopefully) viral movement.

In practice, there are lots of issues.  First, there is no central source of
legitimacy to the idea except the idea itself.  It’s a nice idea, but it is
hardly unique or bold.

Second, we don’t really need to standardize on booyas, and the network of
booya takers is not yet a selling point based on established presence—like
Facebook is.  So there is really little reason to suspect the movement will
catch hold and center itself amongst the many possible spokes of
(potentially) participating groups.

More importantly, the site itself is clunky and the marketing and component
names seem arbitrary--but not in a good way.  In a sense it is a bit sad to
see these little efforts form without building off of standardized
technology or currency components, a base of shared intellectual umph, or
links to important existing environmental or social groups.   In short, Maia
Maia is too small to matter—and that’s a painful thing for a P2P advocate to
say about a well-intentioned P2P effort.  But it needs saying.  Just because
you want to be in charge is not reason enough to clutter the world with yet
another hopeful but ill-conceived project.

Most of us want to solve big problems—have big ideas.  But the real value of
P2P commons leaders is in integration—not entrepreneurship.  Of course we
need social entrepreneurs and big thinkers.  But what is needed more are
players who build commons—consistent and widely used component sets and
linkages that encourage open standards—not hubs.  That’s the future that
will catch hold.  Sadly, we’ll see 500 Maia Maia’s which will make a lot of
people as cynical as my mother was when she was continually confronted with
a new vendor value stamp (like the old S&H green stamps).  Everyone wants to
be the hub; what’s needed is components.  Please find a group of partners to
be in common with…don’t go it alone.

rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham
P.O. Box 633