[p2p-research] the new green revolution in AFrica

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 22:49:29 CET 2009

The magicians Penn and Teller are apparently strongly conventional
libertarian/skeptics.  They have an HBO television show that
covers/represents their views.  They did one on organic foods.  It wasn't
pretty.  They did taste tests (with organic advocates) questioned food
experts, nutrition experts, etc.  The net of that story was that organics
were a social waste and not as good in any obvious way--pests, soils,
productivity, nutrition, health, tastes.  If I recall, Borlaug might have
been cited.  But since his death, I've seen him a lot...so I can't be
certain.

Just another data droplet tangentially associated.

Ryan

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Stan Rhodes <stanleyrhodes at gmail.com>wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Do you have the link you refer to handy?
>
> -- Stan
>
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Kevin Carson <
> free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/09, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Yes, I can.
>> >
>> >  On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Michel Bauwens
>> >  <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >  > Sam, Kevin,
>> >  >
>> >  > I will be travelling again from the 28th to November 6, and extra
>> material
>> >  > would be very welcome.
>> >  >
>> >  > I wonder if one of you could present the main arguments or quotes
>> from this
>> >  > excellent recap of the green revolution fallacy?
>> >  >
>> >  > see http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090921/patel_et_al
>>
>> If you can use a second item on the same theme, I found an article
>> quoting an associate of Borlaug's on how close-minded he was, and how
>> a lot of his ex cathedra pronouncements on organic agri were simply
>> based on intellectually lazy assumptions on which he refused to
>> entertain any contrary evidence.
>>
>> --
>> Kevin Carson
>> Center for a Stateless Society http://c4ss.org
>> Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism
>> http://mutualist.blogspot.com
>> Studies in Mutualist Political Economy
>> http://www.mutualist.org/id47.html
>> Organization Theory:  A Libertarian Perspective
>> http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2005/12/studies-in-anarchist-theory-of.html

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham