[p2p-research] CAD files at The PIrate Bay? (Follow up)

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 14:31:00 CET 2009

Hey Kevin,

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Kevin Carson
<free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/23/09, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This partnership stuff is actually happening now, and I am starting to
>>  develop alternative models where independents work as a team in
>>  coworking spaces (or other similar spaces) to fully develop
>>  technologies for localized use. Makers are part of the teams (which
>>  can be ad-hoc) and stand to be reciprocated more out of this
>>  arrangement than being an outsourcing resource for larger companies.
>>
>>  This means that the other people in the local economies "team" need to
>>  fill the role of researching emerging markets, design, connecting with
>>  local stakeholders, raising needed resources, project management,
>>  coordination of iterative development, managing the digital resources
>>  etc
>>
>>  The above is not so much as projection of the landscape of garage
>>  manufacturing trends, as an actual model that we are applying here in
>>  midwest region to local economies. So, I am both "making" myself, plus
>>  looking to work with "makers" in this region, and focusing on Urban
>>  Agriculture, "green" energy, automation systems, and general rapid
>>  prototyping fabrication capabilities
>
> So how does this play out in your experience, with regard to the
> patent issue?  Does your bottom-up federative system have some use for
> patents, or would it be economically worthwhile to invest in patents
> shared by a large networked pool of on-demand producers?  And are
> there capitalization issues for which such a networked form is
> insufficient compared to traditional "outsource" patronage by a
> conventional manufacturing corp?

It may seem dogmatic, but I think that usually for the problems we are
focused on, patents and traditional captial (with it's traditional
expectations of very rapid money ROI) tend to be non-appropriate for
localized economies/commons based business models.

Removing patent gives rapid ROI on many forms of wealth, including
money. A group of people on local scales may not invest in technology
development solely as a capital venture. Often, it is an investment to
gain the capacities the technology affords (food, energy, physical
object and rapid prototype produciton). Patents block the flow on this
scale, and the costs associated are a barrier to entry. The business
model on this scale is at the point of consumption (but one person may
be producer, processor, distributor, and consumer. This is not a role
based economy, it's an activity based economy)

> --
> Kevin Carson
> Center for a Stateless Society http://c4ss.org
> Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism
> http://mutualist.blogspot.com
> Studies in Mutualist Political Economy
> http://www.mutualist.org/id47.html
> Organization Theory:  A Libertarian Perspective
> http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2005/12/studies-in-anarchist-theory-of.html

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552