[p2p-research] CAD files at The PIrate Bay? (Follow up)

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 05:20:41 CET 2009

On 10/23/09, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:

> This partnership stuff is actually happening now, and I am starting to
>  develop alternative models where independents work as a team in
>  coworking spaces (or other similar spaces) to fully develop
>  technologies for localized use. Makers are part of the teams (which
>  can be ad-hoc) and stand to be reciprocated more out of this
>  arrangement than being an outsourcing resource for larger companies.
>
>  This means that the other people in the local economies "team" need to
>  fill the role of researching emerging markets, design, connecting with
>  local stakeholders, raising needed resources, project management,
>  coordination of iterative development, managing the digital resources
>  etc
>
>  The above is not so much as projection of the landscape of garage
>  manufacturing trends, as an actual model that we are applying here in
>  midwest region to local economies. So, I am both "making" myself, plus
>  looking to work with "makers" in this region, and focusing on Urban
>  Agriculture, "green" energy, automation systems, and general rapid
>  prototyping fabrication capabilities

So how does this play out in your experience, with regard to the
patent issue?  Does your bottom-up federative system have some use for
patents, or would it be economically worthwhile to invest in patents
shared by a large networked pool of on-demand producers?  And are
there capitalization issues for which such a networked form is
insufficient compared to traditional "outsource" patronage by a
conventional manufacturing corp?

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism