[p2p-research] Slashdot | Geocities Shutting Down Today

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Tue Oct 27 01:18:37 CET 2009

http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/10/26/1359223/Geocities-Shutting-Down-Today
"Geocities is closing today. Its advent in 1995 was a sign of the rising
'Internet for everyone' era, when connection speeds were 1,000x or 2,000x
slower than is common today. You may love it or hate it, but millions of
people had their first contact with a Web presence right here. I know that
Geocities is something that most Slashdotters will see as a n00b thing — the
Internet was fine before Geocities — but nevertheless I think that some
credit is due. Heck, there's even a modified xkcd homepage to mark the
occasion."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/10/geocities-closing.html

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/