[p2p-research] Fwd: FlossedBk, "Free/Libre and Open Source Solutions for Education" this weekend in Bangkok

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 20:21:31 CET 2009

Wish I could come to it. We're doing some work next month on
http://socialmediaclassroom.com/ release to bring it to Drupal 6, plus
I am working on supporting some other tools beyond Drupal (like ELGG,
Moodle, Wagn, insoshi, and some extensions to all) within coming year.

http://socialmediaclassroom.com/ is a collaborative inquiry based
learning system (and it is not just software, but also a curriculum
for collaborative inquiry using face 2 face and social software
mediums). Many who have been interested in guiding collaborative
inquiry based learning in the classroom have found both social media
classroom and the curriculum developed by Howard to be really
effective and time saving. So,  Social Media Classroom as it is
currently configured covers a significant amount of emerging needs
that people simply cannot get out of their current IT departments at
universities, K-12 edu, etc  Universities and schools are paranoid
about uncontrolled access. Plus, in University cases, they are more
focused on "records management" in the US these days, and so this is
why they are blocking access for educators to the tools they need

I am also interested in how social software can address other learning
approaches. Learning management systems like moodle seem to cover the
classic pedagogical approaches.

For instance: Some believe that social network clones like insoshi and
ELGG are good bases for addressing "Hanging out, messing around,
geeking out" http://digitalyouth.ischool.berkeley.edu/report needs,
and they may be right.

The point that I think I am making is that the nature of the type of
learning going on guides the creation and deployment of supporting
tools and systems, and I am really starting to see things through this
lens after experience with Social Media Classroom

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552