[p2p-research] Fwd: FlossedBk, "Free/Libre and Open Source Solutions for Education" this weekend in Bangkok

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 18:35:47 CET 2009

Hi Michel:

Here is an article for your consideration as you requested:

Beginning to Rethink the Ethics of Higher Education in Light of P2P

Recently the *Chronicle of Higher Education* ran an
article<http://chronicle.com/article/In-a-Time-of-Uncertainty/48911/?sid=wb&utm_source=wb&utm_medium=en>suggesting
that universities are fairly conservative when it comes to the
capacity to change in the face of financial crisis.  Not much of a surprise.
In other breaking news, Wales still wet, and head lice found in
kindergartens.  Indeed the *Chronicle* is a self parody when it runs these
sorts of stories.  One wonders who (else) reads them.

P2P savvy critics like Stephen Downes <http://www.downes.ca/> and George
Siemens <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Siemens> have long itched the
mainstream of higher education for not being more progressive in embracing
new modes of learning and new forms of access.  They’re mostly ignored.  And
then there is the long-standing joke (I’ve heard it attributed to Henry
Kissinger more than anyone) that the politics at universities are so fierce
because the stakes are so low.  One doesn’t have to dig very far to find a
reliable caricature of fuss and feathers with sound and fury signifying
nothing surrounding all things higher ed…along with a forward motion that is
slightly less viscous than plate glass.  Change is possible in so much as it
comes with a new grant for a building, new center or institute with
someone’s name on it.

There has been comfort in the ancient tree-filled quads and stodgy smells
for alumni and students as much as faculty and administration.   In the end,
Mr. Chips evolved—if only a touch.  The internal tension between dreamers
and idealists and organizations of stone and mortar board could give enough
opening light so that people were willing to carry on feeling as if they
were part of something grand and timeless but also relevant--enough.

Yet when the technology crises start to impact student ethics, one wonders
whether genuinely transformative spasms are not too far away.

Andy’s Black Hole <http://andysblackhole.blogspot.com/> is an excellent blog
for tracking some of the catalytic effects of technology on learning.   It
notes the horizon shifters and possible change agents though with a healthy
dose of skepticism about the pace of change likely to result from often very
compelling ideas.   Recently Andy covered a
case<http://andysblackhole.blogspot.com/2008/03/facebook-collaboration-is-it-cheating.html>at
Ryerson University where a student helped others in a Facebook-based
study group on a chemistry problem that counted for credit.  He is charged
with 146 counts of academic misconduct –one for all the students who used
the facility.   We don’t have all the facts, but the case on the surface
seems totally absurd.

The means by which students are learning is changing.  It is up to
instructors to adapt—not students to avoid tools and their advocates who
impel better collaboration and learning; those ARE the future.  We are in
the midst of a shift of communications and learning tools that is obviously
without precedent, but it comes, apparently, as some surprise to the faculty
of chemistry at Ryerson.  And thus the rules of learning stumble on.  So it
goes.  Some prof smells a cheat because a student didn’t follow the
rules.  Well,
maybe, just maybe, consider changing the rules.

The hierarchy and individualism of higher education are beginning to come
unspun, and P2P is at the root of a lot of the fraying.   The problems arise
from a grind of students who know information to be free, informal and
accessible versus faculty who prepare journal articles for the care of
typesetters and whose vision of knowing is linked to some cultural notion of
a corpus to be mastered by an individual.  The whole project is getting
tired, and the rules need to change.

So far, no prominent institution has stepped up.  MIT and others have put
classes on the web, which is a start.  But no major institution has
systematically looked at technologies of learning and knowing with a mind
toward substantive internal organizational and procedural change.

The most exciting moves are taking place in and around community
colleges.  These
more dynamic and less institutional models may be the future if the prestige
and Jane Austen-like qualities of the conventional orgs shatter all at
once…and they just might.  It’s hard to imagine all that money and status
flushing away quickly, but one senses the swirl has begun.

rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham
P.O. Box 633
Grand Cayman, KY1-1303