[p2p-research] Slashdot | Save the Planet, Eat Your Dog

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Mon Oct 26 14:13:37 CET 2009

I don't necessarily agree with this: :-)
   "Slashdot | Save the Planet, Eat Your Dog"
http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/10/26/0321245/Save-the-Planet-Eat-Your-Dog
"New Zealand's Dominion Post reports on a new book just released, Time to
Eat the Dog: The real guide to sustainable living. In this book, they
compare the environmental footprint of our housepets to other things that we
own. Like that German Shepherd? It consumes more resources than two Toyota
SUVs. Cats are a little less than a Volkswagen Golf. Two hamsters are about
the same as a plasma TV. Their suggestions? Chickens, rabbits, and pigs. But
only if you eat them."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/national/2987821/Save-the-planet-eat-a-dog

But it has some interesting discussion about calculating environmental
impacts. I agree in general that meat production is resource intensive (and
often cruel):
http://www.westernwatersheds.org/watmess/watmess_2002/2002html_summer/article6.htm
"The real message here is that we can afford to restore hundreds of millions
of acres in the U.S. if we simply shift our diets away from meat. Many
organizations spend their time fighting sprawl and championing agriculture
as a benign use of the land. If a similar amount of effort were directed
toward reducing agricultural production, we would produce far greater
protection and restoration for declining species, endangered ecosystems and
ecological processes. When critics suggest that we don't have the money to
buy land for wildlands restoration, they are forgetting agricultural
subsidies, which amount to hundreds of billions of dollars. For what we
spend to prop up marginal agricultural producers, we could easily buy most
of the private farm and ranch land in the country. This would be a far more
effective way to contain sprawl, restore wildlands, bring back endangered
species, clean up water, slow the spread of exotic species and reduce soil
erosion."

(For the record, we have more than one dog. And we try to feed them more on
the vegetarian side of things. And we have chickens, but don't eat them
either. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/