[p2p-research] Walkability: check it before choosing your next home!

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 08:01:10 CET 2009

On 10/23/09, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

>  Also, the USA is one tenth the population density of most of Europe:
> http://www.westernwatersheds.org/watmess/watmess_2002/2002html_summer/article6.htm
>  and does not have it's history of walkable cities (except in older city
> cores), so yes, it is very different.

The problem IMO is not so much population density as spatial
organization.  Because of monoculture development, backed by zoning
laws, commercial areas are located a long distance from where we live
instead of being integrated.

Re population density, I recall reading in a local newspaper that
about 60% of the population in Washington and Benton counties here in
NW Arkansas live within a mile walk of the main railroad line that
runs through the downtowns of the major cities here.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism