[p2p-research] P2P Ideology

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 14:58:12 CET 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Paul D. Fernhout
<pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:
> But, I can see that codifying things in that direction would be alienating
> to many enmeshed in the current systems. And it might also not be accurate
> enough. Again, Manuel de Landa:
>  http://www.t0.or.at/delanda/meshwork.htm
> "Indeed, one must resist the temptation to make hierarchies into villains
> and meshworks into heroes, not only because, as I said, they are constantly
> turning into one another, but because in real life we find only mixtures and
> hybrids, and the properties of these cannot be established through theory
> alone but demand concrete experimentation."

This quote is really great, thanks for sharing it, Paul.

Human nature is emergent, adaptive. Indeed, as we are moving into an
era that lowers the barrier of entry to basic infrastructure, we'll
see:

- retrieval of long dormant social/cultural/political systems

- admixture/hybridization of those systems with more generically
identifiable homogeneous social structures

Mass cultures are evolving into thousands and eventually millions, of
new local cultures as different segments of mass culture collapse
(media, manufacturing, food production, etc). Those new local cultures
are admixture/hybrids of many mesh/hierarchies. Even one person may
participate in many of these networks. This is what is making what is
emerging difficult to see, to categorize for governments, large
businesses, market researchers, academics, etc (not that they should
be categorized, but categorization has been the norm for a long time,
and it increasingly is difficult to apply).

> --Paul Fernhout
> http://www.pdfernhout.net/

Sam Rose
Social Synergy