[p2p-research] Fwd: Petition against police violence to migrants and activists in Greece

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Oct 24 17:13:59 CEST 2009

In the long term, we need structural reform more than we need to ask the
police to be nicer to individuals.

As I suggested before, in ten or twenty years, policing will just be done
with robots, who will have even less humanity than the human officers. :-(

Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=police+robots

Examples:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/09/10/18/1320259/MIT-Researchers-Develop-Autonomous-Indoor-Robocopter
"Researchers at MIT's Robust Robotics Group have developed a robotic
helicopter capable of autonomously flying inside buildings or other
GPS-denied environments. It has an on-board camera and a laser scanner that
maps the local environment. The video talks about search-and-rescue and
civil engineering applications, but it also brings somewhat scary reminders
of Minority Report to my head. How long till I see one of these chasing me
down a dark alley? The team's website has more videos showing earlier stages
of the project."

An apparent robocop mock up, but likely within twenty years:
   "Humanoid Automonous Police Robot"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLbla1IJ6oc

As depicted here in text fiction:
   http://www.marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm

For reference:
   "Latest Humanoid Robot (to help disabled and older people)"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CETUmThm8Rg&feature=related

But one for real with treads available right now:
  http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2007/08/armed-robots-so/
"Armed robots — similar to the ones now on patrol in Iraq — are being
marketed to domestic police forces, according to the machines’ manufacturer
and law enforcement officers.  None of the gun-toting ‘bots appear to have
been deployed domestically,  yet.  Both cops and company officials say it’s
only a matter of time, however. ... Other than some R&D with the shotgun
mount, we haven’t used it operationally,"  Massachusetts State Police
Trooper Mike Rogowski tells DANGER ROOM.  "But they’re on the way.  They’re
coming," "

And this one in Korea is it seems currently in use (previously mentioned):
   "South Korea's Machine Gun Sentry Robot"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YftEAbmMQ

And already there is use of Predator drones in my home state (previously
mentioned):
"Predator Drone Patrolling New York Border "
http://www.infowars.com/predator-drone-patrolling-new-york-border/

We have so few years to turn this culture around as we continue to build our
values and an assumption of scarcity instead of abundance into
infrastructure of advanced technology.

If we have the amazing technology we need to build police robots, we
ironically should not need them (at least for what they are planned to be
used for.)
   "Jacque Fresco on Research & Development versus Law & making the world
work for everybody"
   http://www.youtube.com/user/jacquefresco#p/a/u/2/pbtbGcKiLiM

Or, from 1940 and Charlie Chaplin:
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechthegreatdictator.html
"Greed has poisoned men's souls, has barricaded the world with hate, has
goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed but we
have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want.
Our knowledge has made us cynical, our cleverness hard and unkind. We think
too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More
than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities,
life will be violent and all will be lost."

It is amazing now how fast a couple buttons can get pushed to permanently
shut someone out of a digital world (banning from some digital forum). Soon,
it may not be that hard to do the same physically.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_recognition_system
"In addition to being used for security systems, authorities have found a
number of other applications for facial recognition systems. While earlier
post 9/11 deployments were well publicized trials, more recent deployments
are rarely written about due to their covert nature."

The same metal we can use to build spaceships and seasteads and skyscrapers
can also be used to forge chains.

But, once police robots are in place, they will be unlikely to listen to
Chaplin's plea from that movie: "Soldiers: Don't give yourselves to brutes,
men who despise you, enslave you, who regiment your lives, tell you what to
do, what to think and what to feel; who drill you, diet you, treat you like
cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don't give yourselves to these unnatural
men, machine men, with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not
machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in
your hearts. You don't hate; only the unloved hate, the unloved and the
unnatural."

Still, eventually the robots may become more compassionate than the people
who build them or deploy them? One can hope.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

But until then, we need structural reforms, IMHO.
"Getting Greece and Iceland to be 99% self-sufficient by mass; international
consortium"
http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing/msg/b918d271f9bb701d

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/