[p2p-research] P2P Ideology

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 16:37:06 CEST 2009

Ryan,

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd put it this way:
>
> P2P systems attempt to function with minimal centralization and complexity
> so as to reduce governance organs, elite associations or exclusive licensing
> in favor of personal interactions.  Sharing is prioritized over personal
> gain as a basic ethos.  Other basic ethical tenets include avoidance of
> exploitation of the environment, labor or commons for self-gain.
>
> P2P frameworks avoid religious, political or cultural norms that do not
> specifically advance the interests of the commons.  Where such norms come
> into conflict with thhe commons, those who hold to a P2P ethos favor the
> commons first and their own belief systems subsequently.
>
> Thus, P2P is inherently social, but it makes no demands on the ethic of the
> individual to share by force.  Instead, it seeks to establish strong
> normative rules for participation and sharing with minimal use of central
> governance or power to achieve normative aims.
>

> I would add that to me that sounds like an unworkable utopian philosophy.

I think this worldview is no more or less utopian than any other that
existed before it emerged. Back in the victorian era, people thought
that the 20th century industrial world view would lead to utopia, if
only the richest elites could control everyone and get everyone in
their places, then society would function perfectly, is basically what
they thought. And, they built towards this with great fervor, and we
see the results of this worldview pervading our environments
throughout the western world today.

The world view we are calling "p2p" is no less/more workable or
unworkable than anything else. it's a worldview, an emergent way of
solving problems of existence.

> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think p2p worldview is a route to solving problems of existence by
>>> recognizing that you can gain now by all gaining now (as opposed to in
>>> the future, or afterlife, etc). This in turn starts to create an
>>> environment where people who are more "self"-oriented can operate in
>>> their own so-called "selfish" interests, yet their actions will not
>>> tend to be at the expense of others.
>>>

>> It sounds remarkably like the writings of Adam Smith.
>>
>> Ryan
>>

> --
> Ryan Lanham
> rlanham1963 at gmail.com