[p2p-research] Slashdot | Peering Disputes Migrate To IPv6

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Oct 24 03:31:55 CEST 2009

Here is an example about big peers arguing over exchanging data at the
network infrastructure level; I'm not sure what exactly an analogous
situation would be at the individual level for distributed wi-fi or
something like that?

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/10/23/1715235/Peering-Disputes-Migrate-To-IPv6
"As more networks prepare for the transition to IPv6, we're seeing the first
peering disputes (sometimes known as 'Internet partitions') involving IPv6
connectivity. The dispute involves Cogent, which has previously been
involved in high-profile IPv4 peering spats with Sprint, Level 3 and Telia.
Hurricane Electric, which has been an early adopter on IPv6, says Cogent
won't peer with it over IPv6. Hurricane has extended an olive branch by
baking a cake bearing a message of outreach for Cogent."
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/10/22/peering-disputes-migrate-to-ipv6/
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg01006.html

 From the datacenterknowledge link:
"""
   IPv6 is the next generation of the Internet Protocol, and will
dramatically expand the number of addresses available for web sites, as well
as millions of mobile devices with Internet access. Although the transition
will address some of the network’s challenges, others will clearly persist.
That includes disputes over peering, which have quickly made the jump from
IPv4 to IPv6. ...
   “If you’ve been around long enough, you’d know that normally nobody talks
about peering publicly like this,” Leber wrote. “Then why would I write this
post? Because I want to set the record straight regarding Hurricane
Electric’s IPv6 peering goals, and nothing in Cogent’s case seems to get
through to them.”
   Cogent had less to say its relationship about Hurricane Electric. “It is
public knowledge that our networks are connected,” said Travis Wachter, the
Marketing Communications Manager for Cogent. “As for peering agreements, we
cannot discuss them publicly as we have non-disclosure agreements in place.”
   Peering allows two providers exchanging large volumes of traffic to save
money by connecting directly, rather than routing traffic across their paid
Internet connections. Peering is often free as long as the amount of traffic
exchanged is not out of balance, providing substantial cost savings for
bandwidth for high-traffic sites and networks.
   Cogent has been involved in a number of high-profile peering disputes
over the years, including de-peerings that disrupted IPv4 connectivity with
Sprint, Telia and Limelight Networks.
"""

Anyway, it's interesting to think about levels of "peers" in communications
hierarchies. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
http://www.beyondajoblessrecovery.org/