[p2p-research] interesting concept: a facebook for academics

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:01:16 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 6:15 AM, Athina Karatzogianni
<athina.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Michel
>
> I registered and visited a couple of times on the academia edu site entered
> my info, and it automatically sent of invites to everyone i know. I am being
> told that while I am in China with no access at all to this academia site it
> has set emails to a lot of people I know. I am getting lost of emails. All I
> can say apologies to anyone I unknowingly spammed

Looking at this: http://twitter.com/#search?q=academia.edu  it looks
like academia.edu is possibly spamming people in multiple ways in an
apparent publicity/user registration push.  I have received emails on
multiple email lists about this in the past 2 days. Publicity campaign
seems to be working.

Apparently there is now a mechanism that has started to email people
when others are "googling" them, as well.

This reminds me of a few social networks that did something similar a
while back (arbitrarily emailing people in your contact list, etc). I
think Plaxo was one of them Some of the other feedback mechanisms
remind me of "applications" on facebook (the "who's googling you" is
similar to the spam you get from "who's rating you" on face book).

> Thanks
> Athina
>
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.academia.edu/
>>
>> (if anyone in the p2p research group is joining, let me know, seems like
>> an interesting venue to concentrate on joint research)
>>
>> Michel
>>
>> --
>> Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
>> http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank:
>> http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI
>>
>> P2P Foundation: http://p2pfoundation.net  - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net
>>
>> Connect: http://p2pfoundation.ning.com; Discuss:
>>
>> Updates: http://del.icio.us/mbauwens; http://friendfeed.com/mbauwens;
>> http://twitter.com/mbauwens; http://www.facebook.com/mbauwens

> Dr Athina Karatzogianni
> Lecturer in Media, Culture and Society
> The Dean's Representative (Chinese Partnerships)
> Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
> The University of Hull
> United Kingdom
> HU6 7RX
> T: ++44 (0) 1482 46 5790
> F: ++44 (0) 1482 466107
> http://www.hull.ac.uk/humanities/media_studies/staff/athina_karatzogianni/
>
> Check out Athina's work
> http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ath=A+Karatzogianni
>
> Check Virtual Communication Collaboration and Conflict (Virt3C) Conference
> Call
> http://virt3c.wordpress.com/

Sam Rose
Social Synergy