[p2p-research] P2P Ideology

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 18:31:26 CEST 2009

On 10/21/09, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anything that causes identification will cause exclusion, elitism and
> boundaries.  P2P is an identification.  There is nothing about it that is
> inherently new as a political ideology, which it plainly is.
>
> There is no escaping the reality of politics: Power, governance, rules,
> decision processes.  Those who wish to avoid those topics, to me, are
> irresponsible.
>
> What is different about P2P is that it sets values some people can agree
> with who find it difficult to agree with other political systems.   There is
> nothing new here but the ethos itself.

If P2P is an ideology--and I agree that it is--then it's an ideology
that cuts across preexisting ideological divisions and is compatible
with holding to older ideologies at the same time.

The key components of P2P ideology are 1) eliminating artificial
scarcity and the rents that come from it, and 2) the effects of
network culture.

Most of us are agreed that eliminating rents from copyright and
patents, and the bottom-up organizational forms made possible by the
network, will have a revolutionary effect on the social system,
regardless of what we otherwise favor as defining characteristics of
that system.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism