[p2p-research] new configuration paradigm for customized manufacturing

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:39:11 CEST 2009

http://mass-customization.blogs.com/mass_customization_open_i/2009/10/mcpc-2009-my-personal-conclusions-and-learning-from-this-years-conference.html

the above has an interesting section, which I hope some of you could write a
blog entry on for the p2p blog,

for those in the OM list which might not have seen my message, the p2p blog
is now a top 0.2% retweeted blog in the twitter universe, which is way
beyond my own expectations,

the quote:

*Configuration Technology: *A new generation of customization logic is
coming up: While Joe Pine, Lars Hvam, and myself still preach that
modularization and product family structures are the key to efficient
customization, *Dr. Yusel *from *Certusoft *Inc. and *Konstantin Krahtov *from
the *Open Experience *GmbH both provided presentations that turned the
common argumentation upside down:

I normally tell my students that for manufacturing companies mass
customization means to move from ETO to MTO or ATO (engineer- => make- or
assemble-to-order). But in these presentations, the idea was presented that
instead of combining pre-defined modules, the configuration toolkit will
engineer the components on the fly in real time. As Dr. Yusel said:
"*Conventional
configurators replace what engineers do. Our system replaces how engineers
think*." He has implemented his configuration system within large US truck
makers with amazing results -- and really opened my eyes to a new way of
thinking of configuration. Similar Open Experience from Karlsruhe in
Germany. Their vision is that in the end you just doodle what you like, and
the system turns this into a component.

Perhaps *the future of configuration is indeed beyond arranging pre-defined
modules to a product*, but developing components and production patterns in
real time (you need, however, a very flexible manufacturing system for
this).

--
Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: