[p2p-research] Important communication for future p2p plans

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 06:18:34 CEST 2009

Dear friends,

This is very early phases, but I have made an important decision.

I will, in a few weeks or months, have access to some personal finance.

The key plan is to finish a building that is located in front of my (wife's)
house in Chiang Mai, and was originally intented to be a kindergarten. I
will finish it, and it will host both a co-working environment, and a
physical P2P Research Center.

I originally wanted this to be a official Hub, but I fear that the
franchising, and architectural requirements, are beyond my means at present.
I also feel that the P2P Foundation 'brand' is strong enough, to do this
separately. (however, my wife's sister has land just next door, that could
conceivable host a real hub, if I would find investment partners)

Associated with this, is the idea to create a business, that will focus on:
1) helping me develop my keynoting, and eventually consulting career around
p2p; 2) create sustainable income streams around the p2p knowledge commons
(not just for me, but for others in the community as well); think of
publishing, cd's, etc... 3) create an income stream around the physical
center ..

I'm talking to a few people I'd like to be 'business managers' around this,
willing to live in Chiang Mai.

Of course, this project poses all kinds of problems, like the legal format,
the distinction between my personal interests, and those of the community or
other participants. My aim is to balance my own need for physical
sustainability, and to restore some reserves due to the different years I
spent in 'scarcity', but also to do this ethically, and with the overall
goal in mind of strengthening p2p work.

My own aim is to continue exactly what I was doing before becoming a teacher
again: full time researching, speaking, etc... and to help the 'business
mgr.' whenever needed ... but my focus will remain research, speaking,
political, policy, and community and platform building

Time wise, I will start working more seriously on these plans coming
February (end of thai semester)

Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: