[p2p-research] P2P Ideology

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 03:57:47 CEST 2009

Think about the nature of of online systems like wikipedia, when dogma
begins to rule, or open source software cultures that begin to take on
an ideological direction (we talked about this at Political Economies
of Peer production back in 2007)

When ideological-driven thinking emerges, the nature of the system
starts to favor exclusion over inclusion. This begins to erode the
"commons" that is the participatory culture of the system. The system
is now changing from one state to another, from a "p2p" state to a
system that is ruled by a few.

Luckily, the affordances of commons based systems tend to be able to
survive this co-optation, people have the ability to leave and reform
elsewhere (although forking is not often exercised in the case of
wikipedia). Particularly within the last 2-3 years, when commons
consist of mostly digital content, it has become quite trivial to
expand space, and re-boot the system, so to speak

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451