[p2p-research] Is the P2PFoundation a Shill for Proprietary Software?

Athina Karatzogianni athina.k at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 00:49:43 CEST 2009

Hi this is an interesting situation. It is about a software tool for network
analysis. It is ignored but it would be perhaps useful instead of
hypothesizing about whether this person knows about user freedom or p2p to
make that statement after you have talked to them and perhaps if they are
oblivious to it to engage them in the process. Secondly, it is an invitation
to review, to be critical of the product. If it is a very expensive licensed
software targeted at corporations (which is what it seems to be) then why
not try it and constructively compare and contrast with p2p products and so
on.

It seems this raises again the issue of ideology I think in p2p which so far
has been a bit conveniently thrown under the carpet, especially in relation
to the commercialization and promotion of the open source and open products
in general.

Either you view this product as something you can criticize constructively
and propose an alternative open product, or you bar proprietary products
from reaching the list in the first place. This means fixing an identity for
the p2p list and excluding anything outside that identity, which needs to be
decided collectively I should think.

In any case, I think personally its fair enough to want to keep the list
strictly on p2p and open products and ideas.

Thanks
Athina

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Stan Rhodes <stanleyrhodes at gmail.com>wrote:

> Even if this software was open-source, it seems far, far outside the
> already quite broad scope of this list.  Her email shouldn't have been
> forwarded--it probably should have just been ignored.  Jane is obviously
> just fishing for media coverage, and I'm sure she has no idea what the P2PF
> actually is, nor cares much about user freedom.
>
> -- Stan
>

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> What does promoting user-subjugating software have to do with a
>> Peer2Peer economy?
>>
>> Unless the users have access to (at least) the virtual sources of
>> production (source code in this case) - even if the user does not have
>> the skills to operate them (program in this case) - they are being put
>> into a hierarchy that gives undue power to those that withhold those
>> sources for the ultimate purpose of extracting more value (profit)
>> from the user than the real labor-value and other costs that were
>> inserted.
>>
>> Withholding sources is unjust because is stops the users' freedom to
>> hire any qualified worker.
>>
>> It is a strategy of monopolization that unfairly concentrates wealth
>> beyond what "the market" would be willing to pay for that same work
>> and resource usage.
>>
>> How can the P2P Foundation not be aware of this troublesome issue, and
>> if they (you, Michel) *are* aware, then why are you not sensitive to
>> it?
>>

>> 2009/10/19 Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>:
>> > I'm forwarding it to some other people who might be interested,
>> >
>> > Michel

>> can
>> write

>> recent

>> reply,

>> > --
>> > Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University -
>> Research:
>> > http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank:
>> > http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI
>> >
>> > P2P Foundation: http://p2pfoundation.net  -
>> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net
>> >
>> > Connect: http://p2pfoundation.ning.com; Discuss:
>> >
>> > Updates: http://del.icio.us/mbauwens; http://friendfeed.com/mbauwens;
>> > http://twitter.com/mbauwens; http://www.facebook.com/mbauwens

Dr Athina Karatzogianni
Lecturer in Media, Culture and Society
The Dean's Representative (Chinese Partnerships)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
The University of Hull
United Kingdom
HU6 7RX
T: ++44 (0) 1482 46 5790
F: ++44 (0) 1482 466107
http://www.hull.ac.uk/humanities/media_studies/staff/athina_karatzogianni/

Check out Athina's work
http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ath=A+Karatzogianni

Check Virtual Communication Collaboration and Conflict (Virt3C) Conference
Call
http://virt3c.wordpress.com/