[p2p-research] Building Torrent Family Trees (Beta)

Tomas Rawlings tom at fluffylogic.net
Mon Oct 19 13:46:58 CEST 2009

Does evolution apply to technology? A couple of people have suggested it
does; most recently was W Brian Arthur writing in New Scientist. I also
think it does and my PhD is trying to find the evidence for this idea.
We are used to seeing family trees in biology. But how about for
software? I think it is possible for us to look at family tree of forms
of digital media too, so have been working on a method to build
phylogenetic style family trees for BitTorrent software. The method is
phylogenetic style rather than based abound the idea of torrents; The
key reason that this is akin to the phylogenetic method is because the
linkages are based on relationships of the source code (read: DNA) and
not upon the meme-layer (read:idea). A similar exercise but around the
meme-layer would produce very different results. Anyway this is the beta
of my research and feedback and comments on this would be welcome!

http://blog.catbot.org/content/building-torrent-family-trees-beta

--
Tomas

Tomas Rawlings
Development Director, FluffyLogic Development Ltd.
web: www.fluffylogic.net
tel: 0117 9442233
-
Also see:
blog on film & interweb: www.plugincinema.com
blog on p2p, media ecology & evolution: blog.catbot.org
tweet: www.twitter.com/arclightfire