[p2p-research] Fwd: [opennetcoalition] Greens stand on defense of original Am.138

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 17:08:30 CEST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paolo Brini <paolo.brini at iridiumpg.com>
Date: Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 9:54 PM
Subject: [opennetcoalition] Greens stand on defense of original Am.138
To: opennetcoalition at laquadrature.net

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     Press release: Telecoms package negotiations - Greens/EFA call
on EU Parliament to stick to its principles
Date:     Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:45:13 +0200

*PRESS RELEASE - Brussels, 16 October 2009*
 __

 Greens/EFA call on EU Parliament to stick to its principles

Today, the Greens/EFA Group submitted its first proposal to secure
citizens' rights in the negotiations with the Council. Greens/EFA insist
on maintaining Amendment 138 (1), and reject Council's persistence in
trying to negotiate on the basis of an inadequate compromise, brokered
by the Commission. Telecoms Package negotiations will continue with a
Conciliation Delegation meeting next Tuesday in Strasbourg.

Greens/EFA MEP *Philippe Lamberts* (Ecolo, Belgium), a member of the
European Parliament Delegation to the Conciliation Committee, commented:

*/"The current discussion on Amendment 138 is an acid test of the
European parliament's will to uphold citizens fundamental rights. The
basic principle of 'innocent until proven guilty' must be guaranteed.
Bowing to narrow national interests defended by the EU Council would be
a betrayal of Parliament's role as a pan European institution./*

*/ /*

*/I call on all political groups in the European Parliament to
maintain Amendment 138, which sets clear legal opposition to draconian
measures proposed in certain Members States. It is time for Council to
budge from its stubborn position and enable this legislation to pass for
the benefit of the telecoms industry and consumers."/*

Greens/EFA MEP *Christian Engström* (Pirate Party, Sweden) commented:

*/"Amendment 138 is the same today as it was before the elections in
June. It would be the worst possible betrayal to abandon our position
on Amendment 138 after the elections, having supported it so strongly
before them. We have now taken European Parliament's Legal Services
advice on board and made our text even stronger by referring to the
European Convention of Human Rights instead of the EU Charter of
Fundamental Rights, which has not yet been ratified with the Lisbon
Treaty."/*

_Notes to editors_

(1) The European Parliament previously approved the Cohn-Bendit/Bono
Amendment "138", which clearly states that the internet connection of
net users must not be withdrawn without prior ruling by a judicial
authority.

*Chris Coakley
*Press Officer
The Greens/EFA in the European Parliament
Tel: Brussels +32 2 2841667 / Strasbourg +33 3 88174375
Mobile: +32-485-241622
Fax: 0032 2 2844944

http://www.greens-efa.org
http://www.stopclimatechange.net