[p2p-research] Fwd: [Arch-econ] The Ostrom and Williamson Nobel prizes and broadband development

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 16:13:21 CEST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jaap van Till <vantill at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Arch-econ] The Ostrom and Williamson Nobel prizes and
broadband development
To: Economics of IP Networks <arch-econ at cookreport.com>
Cc: carlota perez <carperezperez at yahoo.com>, Michel Bauwens <
michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

Dear friends,

Congratulations! It looks as if this year our field has not been awarded one
Nobel Prize (Kao, the father of optic fiber communication, a long wait since
Marconi for wireless telegraphy) but two.
Elinor Ostrom gets 1/2 the Prize for Economics for her explanation of the
third structure besides government and market: The Commons. The third pole
in the Trias Telematica I described before in this list. Yes in Stockholm
and elsewhere they are starting to get it what we as engineers are doing.

Why does it concern our field? The Internet itself with its egineering
method and peer governance is the prime example of what mrs. Ostrom has
described as a commons! It is far from a tragedy because the right things
are shared and other things are chosen deliberatly to be competitive=
non-shared. So are Google, Youtube and Wikipedia. Cooperatives with shared
infrastructures like for instance the Open Source SW devel. movement,
SURFnet, the AMS-IX, Wi-Fi and city FttH projects. Mrs. Ostrom has described
the NL "waterschappen" and flowerauctions as examples. I would add the "Sea
of Green" in Iran coordinated through internet and Twitter as an example. I
would like to call them:

    ****Cases of "The Triumph of the P2P Networked Commons"*****

These case have a number of things in common when succesfull (not always).
First of all the participants (often creative class volunteers) contribute
more than is taken out. That is why Internet and Google etc grow and grow.
Right Vint ? Unstoppable P2P communities on networks and often without even
a governing hierarchy needed. To quote Hendrik below:

Enabling local bottom-up efforts to develop new institutional arrangements
for creating and supervising new infrastructures tend to be a more lasting
road.
This is the start of something big, as forcasted by Michel Bauwens and
Carlota Perez.

Jaap van Till

Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: