[p2p-research] Metacurrency

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 03:09:05 CEST 2009

Thanks Arthur, Gerry,

I have actually downloaded the flowplace release and tried to
familiarize myself with it

My criticism was not that you don't follow a bittorrent model per se.
My messages about this originated with me proposing on p2presearch
list that myself and others might create a draft of an open standard
for a distributed digital currency.  People immediately replied and
suggested that I look at flowplace and metacurrency.org. I did take a
look at both, and I think your concepts are sound, and I support the
direction you are going with your software. But the thing that I guess
was "missing" for me was an actual open standard for distributed
digital currency. And/or a recipe for combining open standards that is
easily replicable.

My criticism could be wrong. It could be that you actually *do* have
this, and that I somehow missed it.

If you don't, it doesn't really diminish the value of either
flowplace, nor the metacurrency.org vision. Yet, it still leaves me at
square one with what I am interested in doing, which is more along the
lines of something like http://opencoin.org/front-page than in
creating a suite of tools for managing alternative currency. I may
very well just go ahead and work with opencoin, and extend it, since
it is closest to what I am thinking about

The reason *why* I'm interested in open coin is that I am looking for
something that I can adapt to existing web applications, sites, online
communities, etc. Something that is more agnostic to the platform that
you are using.

I could not see a similar portable metadata protocol in
flowplace/metacurrency. Please do correct me if I am off track here.
Hopefully this helps to clear up what I've been communicating in these
various channels in response to people suggesting that I connect with
metacurrency project

All of that being said I definitely applaud and support metacurrency
project, and it's goals, etc.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Gerry Gleason <gerryg at inbox.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I guess there must be a basic communication issue still not resolved,
> because the way I see it, the metacurrency protocol is designed to address
> precisely the types of situation that he describes and more.  As Art says
> there are things we need to do for this to work on all the levels it needs
> to work on, the protocol design has to support all of this working on many
> languages and platform, but none of that precludes people and groups from
> deploying simple protocols that are "compatible".  Take a look at Geoff
> Cheshire's work on http://regenerosity.com, while it doesn't look to the
> most recent MCP work, Geoff has been working on this software for years now
> and could not wait for a protocol to emerge before starting work.  I'm sure
> Sam has done the same, and I hope he will keep looking at what we produce
> under the Meta-Currency banner to see what we have to offer one another, my
> sense it that there are great synergies here and possibility to be expressed
> in collaborations.
>
> I am happy to work towards alignment on shared intentions, please let me
> know how I can help with this. The whole point of this work with currencies
> is to acknowledge the wealth we create together, and central to that is the
> value we see in each others work that leads us to deeper collaborations.  We
> know instinctively that the wealth creation power of making more of that,
> more collaborative work built on deepening personal relationships of trust
> and care is ultimately explosive, but not in a destructive way.  Not a
> bubble economy that always  pops leaving us worse off, but a container that
> expands in its living capacities and diversities to fill the available
> spaces and flows with life.
>
> Gerry
>

> On 10/14/09 11:42 PM, Arthur Brock wrote:
>>
>> Dante,
>> I'll readily accept the criticism that metacurrency seems to complicated.
>> Anybody trying to make sense of what we're doing while coming from a money
>> as currency perspective could think we're jumping through way too many
>> hoops.
>> However, we are jumping through those very hoops because we are making
>> currency so much more flexible than money so that it can be bits, hours, or
>> grams, or ratings, or certifications, or strikes/balls/runs/innings/games or
>> whatever.  The medium and type of activity totally dictates the currency.
>>  That's exactly why were doing something so "complicated."
>> I believe our biggest failure is that Sam has tried looking into the
>> metacurrency and was left thinking it didn't meet the bit torrent example
>> and was just complicated.
>> We're actually keeping the larger philosophical conversations about
>> "currency" away from the metacurrency web site because we don't want people
>> to get bogged down in a lot of theoretical discussion rather than jumping in
>> to help build tools. For more of the actual philosophy and approach behind

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451