[p2p-research] Vitamin D and dental issues -- known since 1941 and earlier?

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Oct 14 15:48:29 CEST 2009

Just a general complaint that this undoubtedly publicly funded research
excerpted below from 1941 is not easily available on the web, even though it
has been digitized. It is locked up behind profit walls preventing easy
p2p-driven research. I can't believe  how long this stuff has been known but
not acted on in favor of things with higher risks...

The 1941 study was mentioned here (among many earlier studies) in a general
review:
   "Vitamin Deficiency Underlies Tooth Decay: Malnutrition Causes Much More
than Dental Disease"
   http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v05n03.shtml

Here is part of its text:
"Am J Dis Child -- Excerpt: PREVENTION OF DENTAL CARIES BY MASSIVE DOSES OF
VITAMIN D, December 1941, BRODSKY et al. 62 (6): 1183"
   http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/summary/62/6/1183
"""
PREVENTION OF DENTAL CARIES BY MASSIVE DOSES OF VITAMIN D
RALPH HOWARD BRODSKY, D.M.D.; BÉLA SCHICK, M.D.; HERMANN VOLLMER, M.D.
Am J Dis Child. 1941;62(6):1183-1187.
   Since this article does not have an abstract, we have provided the first
150 words of the full text PDF and any section headings.
   Previous studies1 have indicated that diet plays an important role in the
causation and prevention of dental caries. Some investigators,2 in
attempting to determine the dietary factors which might be responsible for
the occurrence of dental caries, stressed the significance of the vitamins
A, C and D. We were particularly interested in the effect exerted by vitamin
D; and since former studies had already indicated that a role was played by
this vitamin, we decided to study the preventive effect of a single massive
dose.
   The treatment of rickets and tetany by single massive doses of vitamin D,
first advocated by Vollmer,3 has been extensively used in Europe by
Harnapp,4 Schirmer,5 Braulke,6 Bischoff,7 Windorfer8 and many other
investigators. It has been shown that rickets and tetany can be cured by
oral or parenteral administration of a single dose of 600,000 international
(U. . . . [Full Text PDF of this Article]
  Author Affiliations
   NEW YORK
   From the Division of Pediatrics of Sea View Hospital, Béla Schick, M.D.,
Director, and the Division of Oral Surgery, Ralph Howard Brodsky, D.M.D.,
Director.
"""

I've heard that in Canada and India, some people get injections on the order
of this much Vitamin D each year.

Of course, the body still needs other nutrients to do be healthy:
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/more-vitamin-d-questions-and-answers.shtml

Could this help explain part of why I've heard dental health in the UK (more
northern) is reported as worse than in the rest of Europe?

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/