[p2p-research] All Money is Fantasy

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 05:03:05 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Kevin Carson
<free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/13/09, Ryan <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> All Money is Fantasy
>> via Open the Future by Jamais Cascio on 10/13/09
>
>> I start with the observation that all money is fantasy. I laugh/sigh when I see "gold bugs" going on and on about how money should be tied to gold, because gold has "real value."
>>

> Requiring money to have some intrinsic value, in the sense of a store
> of accumulated past value, misses the whole point.  The point is to
> have a *measure* of value for present and future transactions (i.e.,
> the rate at which my labor is exchanged for yours).  We shouldn't need
> to have an accumulated store of past value to exchange present and
> future services.  That's the whole point:  to enable trade even when
> there's "no money" in the conventional economy.

I agree Kevin.

Related to this, is the idea that open currencies can be used for
exchanges that might not be directly related to just labor, like
exchanges of resources in local food systems. That would combine labor
plus energy that is temporarily stored in the productive output of
agro-ecosystems.

> --
> Kevin Carson
> Center for a Stateless Society http://c4ss.org
> Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism
> http://mutualist.blogspot.com
> Studies in Mutualist Political Economy
> http://www.mutualist.org/id47.html
> Organization Theory:  A Libertarian Perspective
> http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2005/12/studies-in-anarchist-theory-of.html

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552