[p2p-research] All Money is Fantasy

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 04:44:40 CEST 2009

On 10/13/09, Ryan <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:

> All Money is Fantasy
> via Open the Future by Jamais Cascio on 10/13/09

> I start with the observation that all money is fantasy. I laugh/sigh when I see "gold bugs" going on and on about how money should be tied to gold, because gold has "real value."

Requiring money to have some intrinsic value, in the sense of a store
of accumulated past value, misses the whole point.  The point is to
have a *measure* of value for present and future transactions (i.e.,
the rate at which my labor is exchanged for yours).  We shouldn't need
to have an accumulated store of past value to exchange present and
future services.  That's the whole point:  to enable trade even when
there's "no money" in the conventional economy.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism