[p2p-research] Fwd: VW's open and transparent Factory in dresden - Germany

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 12:52:25 CEST 2009

I agree.  There are a number of important differentiations.
Or rather, I d like to see it as a number of "spectrum's" which ideally
could be visualized in a multidimensional graph :-)

See below in bold for a few spectrum's I notice in our conversation,
and feel free to suggest added related spectrum's...

Perhaps we could use it to make graphical representations and situate
ourselves ?

----

The first one you reacted to is paid work vs unpaid work.
( or perhaps also "pay to work" ? )

"What is work" ? What is "paid work" ?
What is "paid work" in the current dominant monetary paradigm ?
And how is "work" recognized in potential other economic systems ?
( does it still need to be recognized ? will we pay to have our work
recognized ? such as students in universities ? - unless they are paid for
working on their Phd -  )

If power structures do not need workers anymore, I imagine it is unlikely a
majority of the population would get paid for working for what machines
could make cheaper, faster, and without questioning authority.

Perhaps people would get paid for not revolting themselves against the
status quo of power structures ?  Or perhaps it is cheaper to pay police and
army forces to control parts of the population that are not required to
service the dominant control/monetary system ?
Or perhaps its even "cheaper" ( in terms of coercive control ) to eradicate
such populations that would become to create their own systems and become
too autonomous ?

If we tend towards such a situation, I find it interesting to understand how
to create an alternative economy where it is possible to produce for
ourselves, preferably by using existing technologies.

I already feel I am in such a situation : I do not seem to be servicing
direct needs of the status quo of power structures, so as a result I am not
paid for trying to change it.

I am not paid at all, yet I m constantly producing and collaborating online
and offline, from early morning till the middle of night, through the power
of intrinsic motivation.

Which leads us back to this multidimensional graph... and its
various spectrum's.

Would you agree to some of these spectrum's, or do you have suggestions for
more inter-related spectrum's  as part of a broader image :

- *spectrum of money* ( in its current mainstream, coercive debt and
interest based fiat form )
from "paying for working" to "not being paid to work" to "being paid to
work"

Also , what does it mean to "not be paid to work" ?
Does it mean working in a context where all our expenses are covered ?

- *spectrum of reputation* credit ( more or less of it, through various ways
recognizing it - we could define these various forms of recognition , ...
and what may be the psychological and systemic effects of reputation in
various contexts - does it enable access to a *spectrum of* *more or less
social capital ?* )

- *spectrum of pleasure *( more or less pleasure - directly gratified or not
? passion ? sense of meaning ? ... I guess the spectrum of "pleasure" can
branch out in many different spectrums )

- and eventually a *spectrum of expected results through time* ( spectrum of
probability ? )

and these three spectrum's being part of the combination of resilience vs
complexity spectrum's ( ? ) :

- *spectrum of autonomy ( resilience ? )*

- *spectrum of inter-dependence ( complexity ? )*

note : the spectrum's of autonomy and inter-dependence enable to visualize
if it is a low autonomy / high inter-dependence system ( such as when one
person earns a lot of money but is highly dependent on this money to have
access to resources in a highly inter-dependent society ) , if its a high
autonomy / low interdependence system ( such as one extreme of it being a
person that survives through its interdependence with nature but not on a
society, by having its plot of land and hunting to survive ) , or high
autonomy / high interdependence enabling emergent autonomy through increased
distributed interdependence ( such as certain potential forms of open
manufacturing ? )