[p2p-research] Fwd: VW's open and transparent Factory in dresden - Germany

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 19:15:11 CEST 2009

see
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-shift-from-human-centered-to-resource-centered-design/2009/10/15

*The Shift from Human-Centered to Resource-Centered
Design*<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-shift-from-human-centered-to-resource-centered-design/2009/10/15>
*[image: photo of Michel Bauwens]*

Michel Bauwens
15th October 2009

 The modern green response to these new environmental and social pressures
attempt to make things better through new or altered methods of consumption.
We’ve seen an explosion of everything from recycled paper to hybrid cars to
green cleaning products to energy efficient electronics as purported
solutions. This, unfortunately, is flawed logic — digging slower won’t stop
a hole from getting deeper. By placing human (market) needs at the center of
the equation, we inherently place our (human) needs above all others,
driving us further from sustainable practices by emphasizing aspects of
convenience and short-term gain over appropriate solutions that deliver
systemic long term prosperity.

>From a very interesting re-think of design
philoso<http://greenerdesign.com/blog/2009/09/30/how-design-post-consumption-economy?>phy
by *Eric Wilmot*:

*1. User-centered design is no longer appropriate*

*“In the spirit of progress and “triple bottom line” (i.e., economic,
social, environmental) development, how might we start to discover new
opportunities that generate wealth without destroying our planet? How might
we challenge our existing approach of framing problems to provide more
holistically responsible solutions that continue to drive economic growth?

To understand where we need to go, it’s important to understand how we got
here. Contemporary design and marketing practices have emphasized
“human-centeredness.” Human-centered has become synonymous with
“user-centered,” which historically relates to the designed interactions
between technology and humans. Microsoft Windows was a user-centered
solution to the then-classic DOS operating systems.

However, the current interpretation of human-centered has expanded to
indulge human desires at the expense of other equally critical
considerations. This is a dangerous interpretation that has become default
for many leading academic and professional creative practices. Don Norman
explains the main concern of such unquestioning adoption of human centered
approaches: “The focus upon individual people (or groups) might improve
things for them at the cost of making it worse for others.” *

*2. Calculating true cost*

*“How then, might we begin to start designing solutions that inherently meet
ecosystem needs first, while creatively and iteratively creating economic
value and stimulus to bring concepts to reality?

Hartmut Esslinger, the founder of frog design, has recently called for the
disclosure and integration of Ecological Load Factor (ELF) in pricing the
stuff we consume.

Load is a term for how much negative ecological impact is incurred by the
making, shipping, use, and disposal of a product or a service. His call is
not the first in this topic area.

This notion of true pricing is one such call made by pioneers like Paul
Hawken, Amory Lovins, Janine Benyus, Ray Anderson, William McDonough, and
the plethora of players in the current sustainable business movement who
continue to challenge and innovate ways of creating economic wealth while
simultaneously improving associated social and environmental conditions.

What is striking about these leaders is their ability to uniquely approach
problems in ways that break conventional human-first approaches. Maybe they
start with the target (zero-waste) and reverse engineer, or perhaps they
look to nature and biomimicry as inspiration for new ways to approach
chemistry. What is inspiring about these approaches is that they are slowly
becoming recognized as valid inspirational approaches to reframe the way we
look at the world around us, and design in a more balanced and benign
fashion.”*

Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: