[p2p-research] How effective is the flu shot? [Greg Laden's Blog]

Ryan rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 22:38:41 CEST 2009

  Sent to you by Ryan via Google Reader: How effective is the flu shot?
[Greg Laden's Blog] via ScienceBlogs : Combined Feed by Greg Laden
none at example.com on 10/8/09

There are several answers to this question. One was overheard the other
day among a bunch of well educated people oriented towards science who
were taking a break from their job.

Person 1: "So, how effective is the seasonal flu shot?"

Person 2: "I heard about 1%. If you get the flu shot, you'll have a 1%
difference in if you get the flu."

Person 3: "That's crazy. I don't know where you are getting your data
from. It can't be 1%, but I admit I don't know what the actual answer
is, but it can't be that."

Persons 4 through 6: "Well, if YOU don't know, and HE says 1%, I'm
going with the 1%. Too much trouble to get a flu shot anyway."

Person 3: "Wait, wait! That's crazy! That makes no sense!" as persons
1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 are filing out of the break room to go back to
work. "You can't leave thinking that 1% is correct! It can't be
correct!!!"

Person 5: [Over her shoulder on the way out the door.] "Hey, why don't
you go ask your husband. He's a Scienceblogger, right?"
Read the rest of this post... | Read the comments on this post...
Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to ScienceBlogs : Combined Feed using Google Reader
favorite sites