[p2p-research] Charter Cities

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Oct 8 04:21:10 CEST 2009

Paul Romer, who gives that talk, is very market-based.

I wrote on his ideas last year:
   http://www.pdfernhout.net/post-scarcity-princeton.html
"""
I'm not talking about the market apologist version of "post-scarcity" at,
say, Stanford:
     "Post-Scarcity Prophet: Economist Paul Romer on growth, technological
change, and an unlimited human future."
     http://www.reason.com/news/show/28243.html
   If you read that carefully, that supposed "Post-Scarcity Prophet" seems
more obsessed with ensuring an abundance of ... scarcity. :-)
   There is not much talk of "free" or "cheap" for *everybody* as much as an
obsession with more patents and more copyrights and more secrets -- which
are all ways to create artificial scarcity in a market economy. So, a
supposedly brilliant economist presumably would promote even more artificial
scarcity through draconian copyright and such. This person (shortlisted for
the Nobel Prize, the article says) can't understand that if *all* the basics
are essentially "free" to the user through the miracles of improving F/OSS
technology and a healthy natural world, then people's personal time for more
desktop innovative R&D is mostly "free" too. :-)
   An example where he misses that is when he says: "If you're going to be
giving things away for free, you're going to have to find some system to
finance them, and that's where government support typically comes in."
   Maybe that is true now, but it is less and less true with each passing
day. And no charge for this "free" essay, by the way. :-) A typical related
problem is to confuse or ignore free as in "freedom" and free as in "price"
by the way. This essay is free as in both (see the license at the end. :-)
     http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/
   Here is part of a sci-fi story about the flip side of that "Imagine"
world kids are thinking about, where it all goes horribly wrong, say, with a
Stanford-led elite unable to let go of a fear of scarcity, and instead using
the robots to guard most of the world who are kept in "welfare" prison camps:
     http://www.marshallbrain.com/manna4.htm
     "Time to turn around Jacob Lewis105. There is construction in the next
zone and, for your safety, we cannot allow you to proceed." There were a
hundred reasons the robots gave for making you turn around. Construction,
blasting, contamination, flash flooding, train derailments, possible thunder
storms, animal migrations and so on. They could be quite creative in their
reasons. It was all part of their politeness. If you turned around you were
fine. If you made any move in any direction other than the one suggested,
you were immediately injected and woke up back in your room. I had only
tried it twice.
   To me, "post-scarcity" means the end of rationing the basics for
everybody, where what is defined as "the basics" grows and grows over time.
:-) And one of those basics is unrationed access to important information.
Ration units went out of use with World War II, you might object. But what
is a US Federal Reserve Note (commonly called a fiat dollar) if not
essentially a "ration unit"? So, in that sense, to quote Iain Banks, "Money
is a sign of poverty", meaning that money's presence in a society indicates
the society believes (as part of its mythology) that there is not enough
stuff to go around.
   I suggest Princeton economists start ignoring the next Nobel Prize sure
bet listed above, who is claiming to be "post-scarcity" while taking us down
the road to Marshall Brain's scarcity dystopia linked above (though read to
the end of Marshall Brain's story for some hope).
"""

In that video, Paul Romer focuses on the notion of creating rules. Market
based ones mainly. Well, maybe we do need some rules. But they should have
as an assumption not creating *artificial* scarcities, IMHO. And they should
not assume labor has much value anymore, as this video you linked to a while
back shows:
http://www.hizook.com/blog/2009/08/03/high-speed-robot-hand-demonstrates-dexterity-and-skillful-manipulation

With that said, as in my previous post, I think creating new cities is a
great idea.

Paul Romer, saying cities are just the right scale between villages and
nations, seems to be rediscovering Jane Jacobs work, but without crediting her?
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Jacobs

But beware of market based people like Paul Romer, for these reasons:
   http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing/msg/aefe17328d00fb67
"""
Except markets have all sorts of problems:
* systemic risks of collapse, especially from pyramid schemes involving debt
* negative externalities like pollution are paid by society
* positive externalities like global health are ignored in product design
* money tends to get centralized, as it takes money to make money
* those with a lot of money set standards to benefit themselves
* competition can be very wasteful if people otherwise agree on goals
* preparing and fighting war is profitable
* as above, human labor is needed less and less for production
* money tends to corrupt the political process
* the market doesn't hear the needs of people with money, so people can
starve or sicken amidst physical plenty
* extrinsic security and planned obsolescence may be more profitable than
intrinsic security and durable goods
* money distorts information flows about news
* money corrupts the medical decision making process (conflict of interest)
* money corrupt academia (Kept University)
There are probably others. :-)
"""

He talks about "choices", but in practice, without a basic income or
capital, most people won't have choices. They can just pick who their owner
will be as a wage slave (if they are *lucky* these days).
   http://www.whywork.org/

So, city idea like Jane Jacobs is great; the emphasis on free markets
emphasizing a income-through-jobs link at this point, given the ending of
work as we know it, is obsolete IMHO. And that was known to be coming in the
1960s:
   http://educationanddemocracy.org/FSCfiles/C_CC2a_TripleRevolution.htm

He's got a cool moving graphic about land use and cities. But the raw idea
has been said before:
"The Truth About Land Use in the United States"
http://www.westernwatersheds.org/watmess/watmess_2002/2002html_summer/article6.htm
"By far the greatest impact on the American landscape comes not from
urbanization but rather from agriculture. According to the U.S. Department
of Agriculture, farming and ranching are responsible for 68 percent of all
species endangerment in the United States. ... The ironic aspect of this
head-in-the sand approach to land use is that most agriculture is completely
unnecessary to feed the nation. The great bulk of agricultural production
goes toward forage production used primarily by livestock. A small shift in
our diet away from meat could have a tremendous impact on the ground in
terms of freeing up lands for restoration and wildlife habitat. It would
also reduce the poisoning of our streams and groundwater with pesticides and
other residue of modern agricultural practices."

The "manual" of "Charter Cities for Dummies" he talks about was what OSCOMAK
was supposed to be. :-)
   http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/oscomak/goals.htm
"The Oscomak project is an attempt to create a core of communities more in
control of their technological destiny and its social implications. No
single design for a community or technology will please everyone, or even
many people. Nor would a single design be likely to survive. So this project
endeavors to gather information and to develop tools and processes that all
fit together conceptually like Tinkertoys or Legos. The result will be a
library of possibilities that individuals in a community can use to achieve
any degree of self-sufficiency and self-replication within any size
community, from one person to a billion people. Within every community
people will interact with these possibilities by using them and extending
them to design a community economy and physical layout that suits their
needs and ideas. "

But, alas, twenty years ago I got all sort of static trying to do that in
the Ivy League. Of course, now I understand why -- there is a difference
between pitching an idea good for everyone, or pitching an idea good for the
people already on top.

He does talk about the only limit is a "failure of imagination" and the
power of ideas. I can agree with that.

Paul Romer is an interesting mix. He half gets so much. But doesn't seem to
be able to go all the way. I can only hope that is an act to bring people
along. :-)

His rules for changing rules are, for example, the US constitution; the
problem is they get gummed up in other social issues and social inertia.
Maybe that is often a good thing, but not always.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/