[p2p-research] Obama open to newspaper bailout bill - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Tue Oct 6 01:23:03 CEST 2009

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/59523-obama-open-to-newspaper-bailout-bill
"""
The president said he is "happy to look at" bills before Congress that would
give struggling news organizations tax breaks if they were to restructure as
nonprofit businesses. ...
   Obama said that good journalism is "critical to the health of our
democracy," but expressed concern toward growing tends in reporting --
especially on political blogs, from which a groundswell of support for his
campaign emerged during the presidential election.
   "I am concerned that if the direction of the news is all blogosphere, all
opinions, with no serious fact-checking, no serious attempts to put stories
in context, that what you will end up getting is people shouting at each
other across the void but not a lot of mutual understanding," he said.
"""

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/