[p2p-research] Product Designs on Pirate Bay?

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:19:07 CEST 2009

  Sent to you by Kevin Carson via Google Reader: Product Designs on
Pirate Bay? via Ponoko - Blog by Duann on 10/4/09

How long before we see ‘illegal’ product design files to download? And
what should we do about it?

New release movies are available for download from various file sharing
networks before they even hit the cinemas. Despite DRM and any other
copyright protection put into music files they are instantly and widely
spread across the net for free download seemingly as soon as the
recordings are complete. Software applications and games are exactly
the same, years of development are quickly absorbed and distributed in
peer to peer networks without a dollar changing hands.

We can assume the same is going to happen with physical product design
in the not too distant future, as the digital design process becomes
ubiquitous, and the means of manufacture become distributed and
democratized.

What will we do when product design files start hitting these peer to
peer networks of sharing. The equivalent of ripping a CD and burning it
for a friend?

Or when a disgruntled Industrial Designer leaks the CAD files for the
latest gizmo onto Demonoid or Pirate Bay, and suddenly anyone with
access to a Makerbot can print one themselves?

Can or will Shapeways analyse a design and refuse to 3D print it if it
is seen to infringe a design copyright, or have an encryption denoting
it a pirate ‘illegal’ 3D file?

Will Marc Newson pull a Metallica and try and sue one of his fans if
they 3D print one of his doorstoppers because it deprives him from
income?

How long till we see the likes of Ikea hacks take on the form of
musical mash-ups when two digital files are combined? Like Deiter Rams
Radio vs Jonathan Ive’s iPod in a mutant device. Will we see The Grey
Album with an Artist/designer taking claim (and
responsibility/liability) for a product mash-up or will we see
anonymous designers posting ‘white label’ designs so as to avoid
prosecution.

Would or could Tatty Devine sue Ponoko if they sell a designers jewelry
if it is a copy, that has been changed ever so slightly, and is this a
form of illegal mass-customization?

I would love to hear any feedback to these questions, and what
direction, action or acceptance we will take?

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Ponoko - Blog using Google Reader
favorite sites