[p2p-research] Moving to blogging: Wordpress vs. Moveable Type vs. other?

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Oct 3 19:17:31 CEST 2009

This is essentially a very basic p2p question. :-)

I've decided to start my own blog or blogs on the "jobless recovery" and
"post-scarcity" themes I've talked about here and elsewhere.
This is partly because a few people have suggested I start a blog
in the past (including to declutter mailing lists from my long posts :-),
and partly for creating some sort of related revenue stream, advertising,
donations, consulting, t-shirt sales, sponsorship, or who knows. Basically,
it would just be a reorganization of stuff I have posted here (thanks to all
for helping improve these ideas), on the open manufacturing list or related
lists, and on my own website, but maybe (hopefully) written a little more
simply and engagingly, and maybe with some podcasts and other media.

Probably I'll put it all under the CC-BY license (except any fair use parts).

I've already registered some related domain names.

So, the next question is technology.

I see p2pfoundation uses Wordpress for the blog and MediaWiki for content.
My hosting provider makes Moveable Type an easy install and they will
maintain it (there is a about a US$3 monthly charge for it, as it is the
commercial version, but mostly I like the idea of someone else worrying
about security patches). Wordpress is entirely free. Moveable Type has both
an open source and a commercial version, as well as a recent fork from part
of the community. Maybe there is the slippery ethical slope to begin with of
using a paid version of mostly free software?

Here is one comparison:
   http://ithemes.com/wordpress-versus-movable-type-the-smackdown-comparison/

A pro Wordpress review:
http://www.entrepreneurs-journey.com/120/choosing-the-best-blog-software-wordpress-is-winning/

Of course, as a programmer, I want to write my own stuff based on my
previous Pointrel Social Semantic Desktop ideas, :-) but I'm trying to
resist that temptation, especially now that Google Wave is out and hogging
all the thought cycles. Essentially, Wordnet, RDF, and GoogleWave cover the
thoughtspace of much of what I've wanted to do with technical
infrastructure, even if it is hard to let go of my own dreams and specific
ideas, and Google Wave still misses some key ideas I've worked towards (like
dynamically overlapping semantic spaces).

Any comments on good blogging software these days for a bigger site,
hopefully allowing comments, and maybe with more than one blog? Bloxsom?
   http://www.blosxom.com/plugins/
Something else?

Maybe I should even figure out how to use Google Wave to do blogging? But
that sounds kind of "bleeding edge" at the moment, even though it has a lot
of good ideas and with Google behind it, is likely to be pretty good
eventually with broad adoption.

I'm even open to running something on a Virtual Private Server (VPS).

I've been looking at Seaside, but I don't like the default (not clean) URLs.
http://www.seaside.st/
But that's a general programming platform too, and I like Smalltalk coding:
http://onsmalltalk.com/screencast-how-to-build-a-blog-in-15-minutes-with-seaside
"OK, I'll make this short and sweet. Here's a screencast of me building a
super simple blog in Seaside in 15 minutes, similar to the Ruby demo
screencast. "

And there is Zope and many other larger frameworks with blogs as part of
them somehow (several ones that are either Java based or Python based). I'm
a programmer, so if it's a bit technical or rough to install, it's OK.

Anyway, what do people here think is the state-of-the-art in p2p blogging?
And are any suggestings more cutting edge or more bleeding edge?

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/