[p2p-research] Dunning Kruger Effect (self-assessments of competency)

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Oct 3 18:29:57 CEST 2009

Ryan Lanham wrote:
> It would seem this would have a very high import for P2P theory.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Of course, there is a complement to this, in that some people who are really
smart in some area assume everyone around them is just as smart in that
areas because stuff seems so obvious to them in some problem domain. :-)

For example, to an experienced car mechanic, just listening to a car and
suggesting fixes is often possible, but to someone else, it may seem like a
mysterious gift. Genius or intuition often looks like genius or intuition
only to outsiders, but often represents thousands of hours of experience and
practice.

Once, almost fifteen years ago when mice were still a fairly new thing for
many people, we (my wife and I) set up a spreadsheet for a company with some
important data in it used to configure a larger piece of software. But, we
had overestimated non-IT people's ability there at the time to be
comfortable in opening a complex document and not accidentally deleting part
of it with the mouse without realizing what they were doing. We had thought
it was a feature that the system was so easily changeable, but, it was
really a bug in an organizational sense in that context (especially given
that data had to go through various formal channels to be approved). If the
spreadsheet had only had textual or numerical data in it, a professional in
that company might notice stuff like deleting a section, but the spreadsheet
had code statements as well, so the users had no way of understanding if the
spreadsheet looked right, another problem. And of course, the non-IT
professionals did not have version control or difference tools that a
programmer would have. We made the mistake of assuming that certain non-IT
professionals had the basic competence of a programmer, even though for us
at the time, opening a file and being careful in it when mousing around or
double checking changes was, by then, second nature. So, we failed both in
underestimating our competency as Information Technology people, and also we
failed in overestimating our ability to assess the situation and understand
the limited competency of the otherwise very smart end users in that
situation (they were also very good with the keyboard, it was just the mouse
that was the new thing). Ultimately, the end users just asked other
programmers to maintain that document. :-) So, it might as well have been
written in code to begin with as part of a larger system. Of course now,
that most everyone can use a mouse well, that approach might have been a
little better (although even now I'd hardcode that particular data).

As with your link, people who are inept at a problem domain don't usually
realize it, as what you suggest, see Kruger and Dunning's "Unskilled and
Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead
to Inflated Self-Assessments"
http://web.archive.org/web/20021112231040/http://www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html

But, the paper also suggests competent people tend to underestimate their
own relative competence, because they typically overestimate the competence
of their peers, which maybe gives anyone incompetent who reads it another
reason to inflate their own self assessment. :-)

So, both aspects affect P2P, both overestimating ones competency, and
underestimating one's competency. And, as with my example above, the two
issues may be in play with the same people and the same situation all at the
same time, with someone underestimating one thing, and overestimating another.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/