[p2p-research] Google celebrates Mahatma Gandhi's 140th birthday; related sci-fi

Nathan Cravens knuggy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 13:04:36 CEST 2009

Care for yourself and you will care for me
If individuals are unable to care for themselves they are not likely to
treat others well. Therefore, meet individual needs by making them
manageable by small self selected groups, so many can remain unaware of how
the processes work if they so choose, near the point of need as
appropriate, beginning with the simplicity of the village toward the
complexity of the megacities of the world, while working to make these
habitats easily observable on the web. This vision, better explored
and applied by each of us, put to practice, is then protected from special
interest or proprietary monopolization and narrow professional
specialization by ensuring everyone access to how the world around them
works to meet the most basic needs onward, thus increasing the ability to
automate any function when it is known better how it works, and without
special interest insisting exchange trade and the veil of ignorance and
private property that must be achieved to continue such compromises. Most
everyone has the ability to revise these means if they are less than
adequate. Today that takes some work and imagination, but it is more than
possible.

He knew
Gandhi, even immersed in the overwhelming socialization of vast webs of
ignorance and tyranny, understood these ideas well, even if he was
distracted with vast arrays of autocratic protocol. Its unfortunate to our
history that his variety of other methods to achieve swadeshi or self
reliance as he lived them overshadowed the underlying, most fundamental
cause of civil rights: lack of care giving knowledge and the material rights
to meet most basic needs.

We have the ability to apply what works, better than ever
With affordable computers and the web they have helped to surface, after
endless hours of explored curiosity, we now have the ability to observe how
human operations work in a way that's easy to understand. It only makes
common sense to begin with basic needs: air, food, water, shelter, clothing,
and the ability to nurture what really matters to each of us. There's more
than enough adequate knowledge on basic needs on the web today, at least in
terms of the self sufficient village model, it is just a matter of
aggregating all manufacturing knowledge, including basic needs, to a single
point of web access and aggregating materials locations to that same point
to viably produce the outcome.

Legos and Wikipedia
We already have interface cues from Lego model instructions and Wikipedia's
political process on how to manage common property which can provide a rough
template to apply to design, manufacturing, architecture, and so on. Lego
instructions are simple: block A goes to block B, add block C, then block D,
and so on, until the desired outcome is achieved. Tyranny of the one-way
"Lego model" is avoided when we observe how Wikipedia works. (unlike Lego
instructions which are simple problem to solve, Wikipedia could use some
improvement, like in terms of better authenticating accuracies and
fallacies) So if a previous method is not in place you do not like how it is
going, can change it without affecting others that prefer a different
setting; but in doing so; the process must either be fully automated, self
maintainable, or have a community to support its complexity where it cannot
otherwise automate or self maintain.

The Challenge
This means in some cases, even if a preferable option is desired: like
having watermelons instead of apples: if no one in the community
wants watermelons but you, it is then up to you to grow watermelons yourself
and for the community to support your knowledge and the materials and
spacial rights for such novelty. We assume here that all the community must
do to support this is by not restricting access to how to
grow watermelons and the space, soil, sun, and water to nurture them; with
room as you decide for a few more in an attempt to persuade the community by
gifting the fruit of your harvest during a potluck. That approach may not be
achieved for every known artifact, infrastructure, or outcome world-wide,
but we can assume its safe to say individual choice in terms of the basic
needs outlined above can be done: we have Gandhi's self sufficient community
and many others like it to prove this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohandas_Karamchand_Gandhi
""
Gandhi lived modestly in a self-sufficient residential
community<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabarmati_Ashram> and
wore the traditional Indian *dhoti <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhoti>* and
shawl, woven with yarn he had hand spun on a
*charkha<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charkha>
*. He ate simple vegetarian <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarian> food,
""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohandas_Karamchand_Gandhi#Champaran_and_Kheda
""
Now in the throes of a devastating famine, the British levied a tax which
they insisted on increasing. The situation was desperate. In
Kheda<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kheda>
in Gujarat <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gujarat>, the problem was the same.
Gandhi established an ashram <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashram> there,
organizing scores of his veteran supporters and fresh volunteers from the
region. He organized a detailed study and survey of the villages, accounting
for the atrocities and terrible episodes of suffering, including the general
state of degenerate living. Building on the confidence of villagers, he
began leading the clean-up of villages, building of schools and hospitals
""
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohandas_Karamchand_Gandhi#Non-cooperation
""
Gandhi expanded his non-violence platform to include the *swadeshi*
policy<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swadeshi_movement> —
the boycott of foreign-made goods, especially British goods. Linked to this
was his advocacy that *khadi <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khadi>*(homespun
cloth) be worn by all Indians instead of British-made textiles. Gandhi
exhorted Indian men and women, rich or poor, to spend time each day
spinning *khadi* in support of the independence
movement.[19]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohandas_Karamchand_Gandhi#cite_note-18>
This
was a strategy to inculcate discipline and dedication to weed out the
unwilling and ambitious, and to include women in the movement at a time when
many thought that such activities were not respectable activities for women.
In addition to boycotting British products, Gandhi urged the people to
boycott British educational institutions and law courts, to resign from
government employment, and to forsake British titles and
honours<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_honours_system>
.
""

Pretty pictures