[p2p-research] Google celebrates Mahatma Gandhi's 140th birthday; related sci-fi

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Oct 2 23:21:14 CEST 2009

Just an archival note that today is Mahatma Gandhi's 140th birthday, and
Google has changed its logo in his honor, which goes to this search:
   http://www.google.com/search?q=gandhi&ct=gandhi09&oi=ddle

I don't know how to make a permanent link to the image currently here:
   http://www.google.com/

 From a Wikipedia article on Gandhi's life, quoting some parts of relevance
to issues discussed on the p2p list:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohandas_Karamchand_Gandhi
"""
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (October 1869 – 30 January 1948) was the
pre-eminent political and spiritual leader of India during the Indian
independence movement. He was the pioneer of satyagraha -- resistance to
tyranny through mass civil disobedience, firmly founded upon ahimsa or total
non-violence—which led India to independence and inspired movements for
civil rights and freedom across the world. ... After assuming leadership of
the Indian National Congress in 1921, Gandhi led nationwide campaigns to
ease poverty, expand women's rights, build religious and ethnic amity, end
untouchability, and increase economic self-reliance ...
   As a practitioner of ahimsa, he swore to speak the truth and advocated
that others do the same. Gandhi lived modestly in a self-sufficient
residential community and wore the traditional Indian dhoti and shawl, woven
with yarn he had hand spun on a charkha. He ate simple vegetarian food, and
also undertook long fasts as a means of both self-purification and social
protest. ...
   Gandhi was a self-described philosophical anarchist, and his vision of
India meant India without an underlying government. He once said that "the
ideally nonviolent state would be an ordered anarchy." While political
systems are largely hierarchical, with each layer of authority from the
individual to the central government have increasing levels of authority
over the layer below, Gandhi believed that society should be the exact
opposite, where nothing is done without the consent of anyone, down to the
individual. His idea was that true self-rule in a country means that every
person rules his or herself and that there is no state which enforces laws
upon the people. This would be achieved over time with nonviolent conflict
mediation, as power is divested from layers of hierarchical authorities,
ultimately to the individual, which would come to embody the ethic of
nonviolence. Rather than a system where rights are enforced by a higher
authority, people are self-governed by mutual responsibilities. On returning
from South Africa, when Gandhi received a letter asking for his
participation in writing a world charter for human rights, he responded
saying, "in my experience, it is far more important to have a charter for
human duties." A free India for him meant the existence of thousands of self
sufficient small communities (an idea possibly from Tolstoy) who rule
themselves without hindering others. It did not mean merely transferring a
British established administrative structure into Indian hands which he said
was just making Hindustan into Englistan. He wanted to ultimately dissolve
the Congress Party after independence and establish a system of direct
democracy in India, having no faith in the British styled parliamentary system.
"""

If Gandhi were around today, I would ask him what he thought of Manuel de
Landa's points about the need for a balance between meshworks and
hierarchies, which it seems to me much of Gandhi life might have involved in
practice:
   http://www.t0.or.at/delanda/meshwork.htm
"To make things worse, the solution to this is not simply to begin adding
meshwork components to the mix. Indeed, one must resist the temptation to
make hierarchies into villains and meshworks into heroes, not only because,
as I said, they are constantly turning into one another, but because in real
life we find only mixtures and hybrids, and the properties of these cannot
be established through theory alone but demand concrete experimentation. ...
But even if we managed to promote not only heterogeneity, but diversity
articulated into a meshwork, that still would not be a perfect solution.
After all, meshworks grow by drift and they may drift to places where we do
not want to go. The goal-directedness of hierarchies is the kind of property
that we may desire to keep at least for certain institutions. Hence,
demonizing centralization and glorifying decentralization as the solution to
all our problems would be wrong. An open and experimental attitude towards
the question of different hybrids and mixtures is what the complexity of
reality itself seems to call for."

This sci-fi story has a section on a world run by Gandhian-inspired ideas:
   "And Then There Were None" by Eric Frank Russell
   http://www.abelard.org/e-f-russell.php

James P. Hogan's "Voyage From Yesteryear" has related themes as well, and he
has some amusing comments on that:
   "Summary of Voyage From Yesteryear by the author"
   http://www.jamesphogan.com/books/info.php?titleID=29&cmd=summary
"""
   In the meantime, Earth went through a dodgy period, but managed in the
end to muddle through. The fun begins when a generation ship housing a
population of thousands arrives to "reclaim" the colony on behalf of the
repressive, authoritarian regime that emerged following the crisis period.
The Mayflower II brings with it all the tried and tested apparatus for
bringing a recalcitrant population to heel: authority, with its power
structure and symbolism, to impress; commercial institutions with the
promise of wealth and possessions, to tempt and ensnare; a religious
presence, to awe and instill duty and obedience; and if all else fails,
armed military force to compel. But what happens when these methods
encounter a population that has never been conditioned to respond?
   The book has an interesting corollary. Around about the mid eighties, I
received a letter notifying me that the story had been serialized in an
underground Polish s.f. magazine. They hadn't exactly "stolen" it, the
publishers explained, but had credited zlotys to an account in my name
there, so if I ever decided to take a holiday in Poland the expenses would
be covered (there was no exchange mechanism with Western currencies at that
time). Then the story started surfacing in other countries of Eastern
Europe, by all accounts to an enthusiastic reception. What they liked there,
apparently, was the updated "Ghandiesque" formula on how bring down an
oppressive regime when it's got all the guns. And a couple of years later,
they were all doing it!
   So I claim the credit. Forget all the tales you hear about the
contradictions of Marxist economics, truth getting past the Iron Curtain via
satellites and the Internet, Reagan's Star Wars program, and so on.
   In 1989, after communist rule and the Wall came tumbling down, the annual
European s.f. convention was held at Krakow in southern Poland, and I was
invited as one of the Western guests. On the way home, I spent a few days in
Warsaw and at last was able to meet the people who had published that
original magazine. "Well, fine," I told them. "Finally, I can draw out all
that money that you stashed away for me back in '85. One of the remarked-too
hastily--that "It was worth something when we put it in the bank." (There
had been two years of ruinous inflation following the outgoing regime's
policy of sabotaging everything in order to be able to prove that the new
ideas wouldn't work.) I said, resignedly, "Okay. How much are we talking
about?" The one with a calculator tapped away for a few seconds, looked
embarrassed, and announced, "Eight dollars and forty-three cents." So after
the U.S. had spent trillions on its B-52s, Trident submarines, NSA, CIA, and
the rest--all of it.
"""

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/