[p2p-research] p2p in action: how about a peer book award?

Patrick Anderson agnucius at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 19:43:56 CEST 2009

Related: diary

Oct-02-2009: Posted to ListCultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org
Tomas Rawlings wrote:
> I was thinking how would a p2p book award work

Hi Tomas,

I would like to take advantage of such a setting for abstract
observation and corrective feedback of the P2P community.  We should
always consider ourselves "on trial" by everyone wondering what P2P is
about.  Do we walk the walk, or just talk the talk?

I'm most interested in the "how would it work" part since this
activity could (I think should) be seen as a microcosm of P2P itself.

I would want to apply and utilize P2P principles to this very process
studying how we, as peers to peers, handle the complexities and
difficulties of making 'correct' group decisions - and afterward
critically analyze how we *should* have handled things.

Those (maybe just me) using this viewpoint would cause the apparent
goal (of delivering an award) to become an arbitrary sort of vehicle
used to observe whether supposed P2P adherents are willing to live by
their own statutes, and to hopefully learn some things we don't
understand about how to cooperate, govern, vote, reward, etc. so we
can refine, expand and solidify the definition of the term 'P2P'.

Some examples of these meta-issues include:

* The process we use to decide what needs to be decided (currently set
to "criteria, selection and judgement").  Maybe this has already been
decided by you, our "benevolent dictator" (meant in the most
respectful manner - only meaning you came up with the idea, and we
must somehow begin), and maybe that is how P2P does and/or should
work.

* The meaning and 'shape' of concepts such as judgement: for example,
what will 'consensus' mean; is it possible for everyone to 'win';
etc..

* Legal issues such as Copyright: for example, what licenses would be
allowed and disallowed, and how will this be determined.

* Meta-meta issues sucha as: what happens to a minority that 'looses'
during a vote of any such point?  Should they be allowed to 'fork' the
activity to arrive at their own results?  Do we care about the tyranny
of the majority? etc.

* ...[many others]...

Sincerely,
Patrick Anderson