[p2p-research] Is There a "Moore's Law" for Cities? World's Leading Experts, Say "Yes"

Tomas Rawlings tom at fluffylogic.net
Thu Oct 1 11:17:18 CEST 2009

> Drawing from insights from research in biology that revealed the
> theoretical underpinnings relating the extraordinary similarity in the
> structure, organization and dynamics of organisms of vastly different
> sizes from cells to ecosystems, the team analyzed a large number of
> urban indicators in the USA, China and several European countries,
> covering measures of economic productivity, innovation, demographics,
> crime, public health, infrastructure and patterns of human behavior.
> They discovered that all these quantities follow simple statistical
> scaling relations with population, predictable changes from small
> cities to the largest megalopolis.

A really interesting post - thanks for that.  And I've also come across
Moore's Law in p2p systems too:  After writing about, not the 'why' of
new laws aimed at curbing piracy online, but asking about the 'if' - I
was very interested to read in the current issue of MCV (556) a quote by
Namco Bandai UK marketing manager David Miller;

"As a publisher, the reflex reaction is to support the [new French
online piracy] legislation, but do we really still believe that it's
either realistic or in the best interests of an industry (and a world
for that matter) going though a genuine revolution?  I think we are
becoming aware of two uncomfortable truths.  Firstly, the upsurge in the
infrastructure of piracy, fuelled by Moore's Law, the ubiquity of
broadband, the proliferation of peer-to-peer and torrents, increasing
storage and general access and ease of use.  And secondly that
Generation Y is growing up in a culture that feels differently about
media consumption.  Is it right to criminalise young people for that?"

http://blog.catbot.org/content/uncomfortable-truths

--
Tomas

Tomas Rawlings
Development Director, FluffyLogic Development Ltd.
web: www.fluffylogic.net
tel: 0117 9442233
-
Also see:
blog on film & interweb: www.plugincinema.com
blog on p2p, media ecology & evolution: blog.catbot.org
tweet: www.twitter.com/arclightfire