[p2p-research] FreeNet

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 19:45:28 CET 2009

I think that most people want to think of P2P as advancing a commons
constructed of goods that people share justly from their own value/labor.

I suppose that sharing to avoid persecution is another side of that.  In
some cases it is sharing to avoid property laws...to many, a form of theft
as we have discussed with regard to Pirate Bay in the recent press...which I
think most who discuss things here dismissed as sub-moral.

Freenet strikes me as mostly an aim to avoid political persecution.  If
someone in Pakistan wants to read a banned book or see a pornographic
video...or if someone in Burma wants to learn to make a bomb.  Hard to say
what the morality of these things are.  Posting copyright materials simply
for the sake of avoiding costs seems offensive.  But I may be more
judgmental than most on that particular point.

Ryan