[p2p-research] Pooled Fund Project update

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 19:01:55 CET 2009

Hey Ryan,

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam:
>
> This is interesting (and great!).  What do you think it is (or would be
> called)...a contract?  A...what?  In the world of organizations one would
> have a partnership agreement which would be contractual.  Here it is more a
> pledge.

Right now this is a focused partnership betwen openkollab, forward
foundation, p2p foundation, Greg Bolous and Steve Bosserman. We will
have more refined contracts as we continue to work on this. For now,
we need to profile what the opportunities are.

> The point I am trying to get at is that this a sort of new P2P thing...like
> a formal promise without legal weight.  I wonder if this is a general sort
> of development in P2P organizations?

Working in the open has indeed resulted in P2P org dev. Barcampbank,
and http://communitywiki.org/CommunityWikiBank  are some early
examples that I have participated in

> In open organizations and commons, there must be a capacity to plan and to
> set expectations.  However, these are more promises than something that
> binds.  Binding promises entail a certain ethos...or a reputation for
> trust.  Could such an action occur rapidly and ad hoc without such locally
> binding moments of trust?
>
> Sorry, just having an organizational theory moment...and congratulations on
> what seems a productive path and an innovative approach.

Thanks! Your feedback is certainly appreciated!

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451